DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   180 Thermostat ?'s (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152028)

jbertulis 09-02-2013 08:41 PM

180 Thermostat ?'s

My '12 is a work vehicle and is turned off and on a lot during the day, sometimes idling for a half hour or so at a time. Would changing over to a 180 thermostat be a good idea?

DRX350 09-02-2013 10:49 PM

Short answer; NO...

Leave it stock, an improper temp t-stat doesn't allow the coolant to be cooled properly by metering flow. If you're truck is going to overheat, it will overheat with a 180 t-stat too.

brondondolon 09-03-2013 03:06 PM

id do it. its pretty easy to change so if you notice it starting to really overheat which i personally doubt it will as ive never over heated mine with a 180 just change it out.

hriczko806 09-04-2013 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRX350 (Post 1191148)
Short answer; NO...

Leave it stock, an improper temp t-stat doesn't allow the coolant to be cooled properly by metering flow. If you're truck is going to overheat, it will overheat with a 180 t-stat too.

+1 here ^^ A 180 degree T-Stat will open sooner but will not keep the engine running cooler. If youre experiencing overheating issues its important to properly diagnose that and get down to the real issue. Also, a 180 degree T-Stat could cause other issues for you such as the engine running rich (very bad thing) and not having heat right away in the colder weather. I believe the stock T-Stat is 195 or 203 degree anyway so its not significant enough to make itbworth while. IMO the cons outweigh the pros here.

BlackRamHemi 09-04-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hriczko806 (Post 1192391)
+1 here ^^ A 180 degree T-Stat will open sooner but will not keep the engine running cooler. If youre experiencing overheating issues its important to properly diagnose that and get down to the real issue. Also, a 180 degree T-Stat could cause other issues for you such as the engine running rich (very bad thing) and not having heat right away in the colder weather. I believe the stock T-Stat is 195 or 203 degree anyway so its not significant enough to make itbworth while. IMO the cons outweigh the pros here.

If you want a lower T-Stat you should use a tuner (Diablo) to take full advantage of it
...and if you really want to see a benefit, a larger electric fan makes even more of a difference.
There is also very little fear of running too rich if you load a proper tune.

I run a 180 stat and programmed my e-fan to kick in sooner and will see better performance and a cooler running motor every time.
Much cooler than stock, much faster than stock and I don't even have a mechanical clutch fan anymore, just one Big electric fan from a V6 Ram.

Guys I know at the track (and myself) have extensively data logged runs for over three and a half years and the numbers do not lie.
Under hood temps, intake air temps, trans fluid temps, engine oil temps and engine coolant temps all drop by 10-20 from a simple T-stat swap, but it's benefits are not fully realized until you do the supporting mods too.

a Cooler running Hemi is faster higher HP Hemi than a heat soaked one every time!
If it wasn't a fact, then hundreds of thousands of drag racers got it wrong.

jerseymike 09-04-2013 12:41 PM

X2 ^ I agree. Cooler = safer. My coolant runs at 185 (stock is 203 so 18 degrees is a good difference), oil at 195 and trans at 140 no matter how much I beat on it in 100 degree weather. Overheating is very bad and running lean is very bad. Cooler = richer. Add more air + more timing = lots Hemi power. Certain things that are done for emissions are not good for performance or overall engine life.

hriczko806 09-04-2013 03:43 PM

I disagree. Cooler doesnt always equal safer. You obviously dont want your engine running hot, but unless you have a very high power engine that youre racing, the engine was designed to operate within a certain temp range. The engine oil, transmission fluid, coolant, differential fluid, transfer case, etc. All work at its best when the engine and other components reach that temperature. If you constantly operate at cooler levels you dont allow those fluids to do their jobs.

Im not saying its a good idea to let the engine get too hot, but like I said, its designed to operate within a given temperature range.

brondondolon 09-04-2013 07:20 PM

so 50% say no 50% say yes lol. lets try to help this guy. @jbertulis: what are you trying to accomplish with having a 180 t stat? if its to make the engine run better or something regarding reliability id say leave the stock one in. if its for performance then go for it.

BlackRamHemi 09-04-2013 07:29 PM

The only reason the stock T-Stat is over 200 is to meet stringent emissions EPA tree hugger ratings.

Hotter engines light up the Cats better to burn off more of the harmful exhaust gasses.
If you're not looking for better performance, leave the stock t-stat in.

ExpensiveToys 09-04-2013 11:09 PM

If you have a 5.7 hemi, in a 2011 or newer vehicle with MDS you should never be running anything lower than the stock thermostat. The engines do everything possible to increase heat and get up to 190 degrees.
The engineers have done everything possible to get engine, tranny, oil up to temp to reach highest efficiency and reduce wear and tear. Putting in a 180 tstat makes engine work harder and runs a different fuel profile until it gets to temp. Causes more wear and tear on engine and entire drive train. MDS mode won't work until engine gets up to temp, which takes longer with 180 tstat and MDS will switch on/off more often during colder weather (as engine tries to use all 8 cyl to maintain heat) which means worse fuel efficiency. It also effects iDFSO mode, as if engine is cold it won't shut off fuel to engine when you are coasting so you loose fuel economy there as well in colder weather.
In the 2013+ they even have electronic controlled heat exchangers that help bring tranny fluid up to 190 by using heat from the coolant. They also have been routing the coolant close to oil circulation channels to help raise oil temp faster to reduce
wear.
Been covered extensively in Chrysler engineer interviews on other sites (which I can't link to from here.)

180 tstat's in 2011+ 5.7 MDS hemi's is just bad for the truck.