DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Pictures - Photos (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Plasti Dipped Bumper (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152033)

BowHunter11 09-02-2013 08:20 PM

Plasti Dipped Bumper

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got up the courage to plasti dip my bumper. I think it looks good from a distance, but when you look up close you can see lines where I stopped and started. Any tips of advice for when I decide to do my front bumper? Thanks in advance.

Also, the black plastic piece wasn't put back on the bumper yet when I took this pic, that's why you see the chrome behind where the license plate goes. I'll try to get some updated pics when I get a chance. Thanks for looking!

RogerRamJet 09-03-2013 12:33 AM

Looks good in the picture. Reps for dipping and posting. How many coats did you put on. Usually the more coats you put on the less lines you see. They tend to blend in better.

ff6cav 09-03-2013 10:48 AM

Looks good! Have you thought about dipping your badges?

BowHunter11 09-03-2013 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRamJet (Post 1191302)
Looks good in the picture. Reps for dipping and posting. How many coats did you put on. Usually the more coats you put on the less lines you see. They tend to blend in better.

Thanks! I put 3 coats on. This was my first experience with plasti dip and the can said 3-4 coats average, so I just went with three. I may redo it in the future when I do my front bumper and possibly the grill.

BowHunter11 09-03-2013 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ff6cav (Post 1191443)
Looks good! Have you thought about dipping your badges?

Appreciate it! I have thought about dipping the badges. I am going for all black, slowly but surely lol. I plan to debadge the tailgate and if I don't debadge the doors then I will dip them.

Canadian Hemi Pride 09-04-2013 01:13 AM

Looks good.. Usually 4 coats works good and just make sure to do long smooth strokes and overlap. I love my blacked out emblems and bumpers+ grill.. Looks awesome.

BowHunter11 09-04-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canadian Hemi Pride (Post 1192267)
Looks good.. Usually 4 coats works good and just make sure to do long smooth strokes and overlap. I love my blacked out emblems and bumpers+ grill.. Looks awesome.

The lines I'm referring to are where I overlapped, but maybe a 4th coat would have done the trick. I'll keep that in mind when I do my front bumper. Thanks!

mlc 06-17-2014 12:48 PM

How many cans did it take to do three coats?

RogerRamJet 06-17-2014 02:59 PM

I would plan for 1 can per coat. You could probably get away with two cans. Really depends on how thick you put it on.

meetmybumper 06-17-2014 03:41 PM

I dipped my entire truck and i learned that if you do not spray from a far enough distance you will get those lines no matter how many coats you use