DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram General Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   2004 Ram 1500 Backing Plate Question... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152120)

Smokin Yoda 09-03-2013 07:35 PM

2004 Ram 1500 Backing Plate Question...

Pinion bearings went out so took truck to a well known Axle shop. Got it back and noticed a day or so later (hot here and window up and air on) that there was a screeching noise coming from my rear driver side wheel. Took it back and they said it was the backing plate hitting the rotor and not their fault. I am having a hard time believing that this was not their fault. Seems like could have easily been accidentally hit when the job was being done.

Can anyone chime in with some expertise to either support the shop that they didn't have anything to do with this or my thought that they did?

Smokin Yoda 09-03-2013 09:55 PM

Anyone?? Is it reasonable to think that if someone installs all pinion bearings, seals, replaces both wheel bearings and the diff fluid that there is absolutely no way they could ever hurt the back plate for the emergency brake? No way no how? This guys is adamant that there is no way this would ever be possible. Anyone? :4-dontknow:

RogerRamJet 09-03-2013 11:26 PM

So it didn't screech when it went in to the shop, but it did when it came out? Doesn't take a crack detective to figure that one out. I'm curious, however, as to why you didn't here it when you first pulled out of the garage? When you say wheel bearing, do you mean axle bearing? Then, you do have to pull the axle all the way out to replace the bearing. And it is possible that the tech hit the shield at some point. But, if you didn't hear it when you pulled out, and the tech didn't hear it (allegedly) when he took it for the test drive (I'm hoping he took it for a test drive), then is it possible you ran over something, even something light like a piece of cardboard? Is it possible they did it? Yes. Is it possible you ran over something? Yes. It could go either way. But since it happened, or you heard it, a couple days later, I think the shop is going to stand their ground.

Smokin Yoda 09-04-2013 11:39 AM

Thanks Roger. I don't think I heard the noise pulling away because it was near 100 degrees out and I had windows up and air blasting. Then the truck sat for a day. When I drove it after a full day and a half later it was in the morn and I had windows down and heard the noise. I looked under the truck but didnt see anything. I did see oil coming out of the front of the diff and the cab smelled like oil. When I got it back to the shop yesterday after the long weekend the owner said the pinion seal was leaking...four days after they worked on it! He was going to fix that obviously and check on the noise. That's when he called back and said there was no way it could have been his shops issue - the noise. That's when I called BS. I never ran over anything I'm aware of in the 20 -30 miles I drove it after picking it up. He is still adamant and had me over to the shop to show me. I am still here waiting for it to be finished. He finally said that he understands where I'm coming from and said if he fought it was his issue he would take care of it. So...I guess there is no way to solve the stand off.

Other than the noise, the issue of the backing plate rubbing on the caliper isn't a big issue I'm guessing right? Plan is to try and bend it out some so it doesn't rub. Would think it will eventually need replacing.

Smokin Yoda 09-04-2013 12:47 PM

also, I've only had the tuck a year or so but before that had a Durango for 13 yrs and never had any issues with the backing plate hitting the rotor. Is this a common repair? I'm not even sure I understand how something could get back behind the wheel and hit it very easily. Since it's make from a weak metal maybe they start to warp over time with the heat from the brakes? I'm confused. :confused:

dodge man 09-04-2013 03:00 PM

The backing plate is just a fairly thin piece of sheet metal that covers up the back of the rotor. Its not very thick or heavy duty so it wouldn't take a lot to bend it in to the point it hits the rotor. I'm not sure how a person would even bend on by accident unless you were off roading. In other words, the shop did it.

I don't know what the big deal is, I'd just take a pair of pliers and bend it out where its not hitting. I'm not saying you should do it, but its such an easy fix I don't know why the shop just didn't bend it back, say thanks and send you on your way. In other words, the guy is being a jerk and just swearing up and down he didn't do it. It would be quicker for him not to argue the point and crawl under there and fix it.

RogerRamJet 09-04-2013 04:15 PM

Dodge man has a point. It is a really simple fix. And if he's there already, he'd waste more time arguing about it than bending it back, or at least off the rotor.

Smokin Yoda 09-04-2013 05:06 PM

Ah, voices of reason! Thank you both. I was thinking the same thing. Even to replace it is like what $30? He was just adamant that there was no way they even could have touched it. Seriously, he said there was no way they could have even TOUCHED it. What? I was at the shop with the wheel, caliper, rotor, axle off and what was RIGHT there in the way of everything...the freaking backing plate. Dude! I finally had to give him an example and said hey if my radiator was making noises your argument would make sense. You took everything off and exposed the backing plate how can you tell me there is no chance of hitting it, bending it, etc? Jerk!

Thanks guys it's good to know my logic is still in tact!

Smokin Yoda 09-04-2013 05:09 PM

BTW, he did bend it back and sent me on my way with no noise after arguing about it for 15 mins or so. Will never use them again.