DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Oil Change (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Leaking oil when truck is backed in driveway (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152135)

Jeringate 09-03-2013 09:47 PM

Leaking oil when truck is backed in driveway

hey guys,

new to owning a truck. i've noticed the past week that every time I back my truck into my driveway that there is oil that leaks onto the driveway from the rear of the truck..

the driveway is an incline so the front of the truck is lower when its backed in... and any time i park the truck forward going up the slope there are no problems or leaks..

the oil or lube or whatever the oily substance is, is clear and has a slight oily odor..

Anyone have this problem or know what it could be? anything related to the drivetrain? its only got 80,000km on her and drivetrain is warrantied to 100,000km

ArmyofOne 09-04-2013 12:01 AM

how much of a hill? fluid coming out of the power steering reservior?

Detonator 09-04-2013 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArmyofOne (Post 1192227)
how much of a hill? fluid coming out of the power steering reservior?

I don't see that from the rear of the truck. Maybe rear diff somewhere?

brandonjansen 09-04-2013 03:45 PM

Rear pinion seal maybe? :4-dontknow:

GTyankee 09-04-2013 03:50 PM

if it was coming from the front of the vehicle

clear fluid would sound to me like BRAKE FLUID

take a old white towel or wash cloth & wipe it around your master cylinder
it may have been over filled
================================================== ========
at the rear end, check to see if the vent tube has slipped off of the fitting on top of the rear axle housing
it is usually located on the driver side of the vehicles

Jeringate 09-06-2013 07:59 PM

after taking a look under the truck (keep in mind this happened on monday and I am just checking now on friday) the rear corner of the gas tank assembly looks wet and oily (not dripping or leaking as there are no marks on the driveway)

its located right beside the rear diff (where i was hoping it would be coming from for warranty reasons!)

anyone have any idea now? only leaks when the front of the truck is facing down hill (meaning the gas in the tank wouldn't even be at the back which is where i noticed it... and it isn't gas as i can't smell any gas still smells oily when i touch it...)

so confused!

Excoastie 09-09-2013 08:17 AM

It sounds like the "leakage" associated with the pinion nut recall.

I'd take the truck in to the dealership, and ask them to inspect the truck in accordance with the pinion nut recall, N08 is the recall number I had on my service sheet. I'd be sure to mention that particular number when you bring it in.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you make out

Exco

Astartes 09-09-2013 03:55 PM

From the back? Maybe the rear differential pan got loose

Jeringate 12-09-2013 10:39 AM

Delayed update but I took the truck in. Dealer wanted to charge to inspect it even though it was in for an oil change and already to be up on the hoist.

Needless to say I lost it on them..

They inspected it, it was the rear pinion nut, the seal was gone, low on gear oil and then they performed the the recall on the nut...

Amazing how when I asked about the recall they "didn't have the parts available in canada yet" but when it goes in they have the parts at the end of the day and fixed in the morning...

Pardon my anger but REALLY EFFING ANNOYING!!!!!
Especially when I bought the truck from that dealership used in April... they should have completed the recall before selling it to me....

Love my truck... absolutely HATE the people that sell and service them...