DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Cheap sheet metal (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152142)

bam2880 09-03-2013 10:07 PM

Cheap sheet metal

I hand washed my ram for the first time the other day and i noticed after it was dry a few very small imperfections almost like small creases or dents but there not really dents. Anyone else notice anything like this?

bam2880 09-03-2013 10:07 PM

I can't even see them all the time if it were a dent you would

tguil 09-04-2013 04:01 PM

Had a slight crease in the the hood of my Ram. Found out it was a paint flaw rather than a dent in the metal.

blkramsport2k13 09-05-2013 04:25 PM

I was thinking the same thing about cheap sheet metal. I have a crease over my rear wheel well and one in my tailgate. They are very minor but under certain conditions you can see them. Yesterday while washing and waxing i noticed around my right rear door handle a slight indent developing.:smiledown:

GTyankee 09-05-2013 05:02 PM

the manufacturers have been making the metal thinner, because they need a lighter vehicle to keep up to CAFE standards

believe it or not, the metal is going to be thinned out some more
new lighter alloys will be used
the ZF rear differential was not an upgrade, as much as it was lighter by about 25 pounds then the AAM rear differential that had been used for years previously

Chunkem 09-05-2013 09:01 PM

I had some issues with the original truck that I purchased....The new replacement doesn't have them at all. I know exactly what your speaking about. Its actually in the paint.

GEOPYR8 09-05-2013 10:13 PM

I noticed the first one just the other day looking out of the drivers side mirror. Down the side just above the wheel well, where the long crease goes down the length of the bed. Its hard to see if the light isn't just right.

skytop 09-05-2013 11:21 PM

You want 'cheap sheet metal'? Then go buy or look at the #1 selling pick up in the country: the F truck from Ford. The F150 was just reviewed in Car & Driver and the article took the Ford to task for the door sheet metal 'fluttering' and shaking when the doors were closed. When I was in the military, we called sheet metal like that 'tin cans.'

The imperfections are the unfortunate result of too fast (too hot) production methods that cause very minor warpage/distortions in the metal. Write a complaint to your Congressman. He or she will surely fix everything.

Machran 09-05-2013 11:27 PM

Not to make excuses but I think it probably also has to do with weight savings. I think most cars have thin sheet metal now.

skytop 09-05-2013 11:31 PM

Metal production much thinner than standard truck sheet metal does not distort if properly stamped. This is not about weight, it is about cost cutting and sub standard stamping/forming production methods.

Current vehicles will go 20 to 22 gauge. Possibly trucks may be slightly heavier. Yes, years ago sheet metal was far heavier gauge. The pickup back in the 1950's were 16-18 and some were even 14 gauge. People actually used to walk over cars hoods, fender, roofs and trunks to get into or out of their vehicles and no permanent metal deflection occurred in the robust but heavy sheet metal. I would not advise that being tried on today's vehicles.