DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Body & Interior (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=189)
-   -   Spare Tire Removal Hell (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152220)

2na 09-04-2013 06:32 PM

Spare Tire Removal Hell

Time for my truck's annual state inspection, and I notice I need a new tire. So I'm going to replace the tire with my spare, and deal with that later.

So I go to remove my spare tire, and I find I bought a truck wihtout a jack or the tools to lower it. Fine, I'll use the jack in the garage.

Discover that I need the jack tools to lower the tire. OK - let's see what I can do about this.

My google-fu shows that I can use a 9/16 socket on the winch nut to lower the spare - but I can't get a 9/16 socket in due to the tube that encloses everything.

Anyone got an idea to get my spare down? Or to remove that cylinder so I can get my socket to the nut?

I don't care if a suggestion damages the winch - the spare will go in my garage and stay there once down and the winch will be removed, shot at dawn, buried in an unmarked shallow grave and urinated upon - I've been at this for several days now and am frustrated.

Asur 09-04-2013 07:30 PM

stupid question, Did you check under the passenger front seat if the tools where there, behind the plastic cover? Just asking, apart from cutting the pin that holds the cable I see no other way to drop that spare.

2na 09-04-2013 07:34 PM

Yeah, I checked under the passenger seat where they're supposed to be, and under the back seat just in case.

What pin is cut to drop the tire?

wchnu 09-06-2013 05:09 AM

It it that unique? I mean you don't have a buddy with a truck. All models carry the spare like that. One if their sets should lower it??
Edit: I walked out and looked at my truck. Put the 9 /16 on a long extention. That goes into the regular hole over the lic. plate and onto the square shaft.

2na 09-06-2013 09:16 PM

I guess it is unique. All my buddys have either Chevys or Fords.

The problem with the 9/16 socket is that it won't fit into the cylinder that goes from the bumper to the square nut.

Sigh - nothing is easy wiht this thing....

wchnu 09-06-2013 10:21 PM

Ahh sorry. Mine does not have that tube.

wchnu 09-07-2013 12:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a pic of mine.

2na 09-07-2013 07:41 PM

Hmmmmm - maybe I can jam a screwdriver bit in there to get it to turn? The nut looks hollow, it may work...

Thanks for the pic!

wchnu 09-07-2013 08:33 PM

It's just a square end on the tube. Nothing fancy. Good luck.

richmond 09-07-2013 10:52 PM

Here's something to laugh at. I took off down the back way on my farm to the next road over toward civilization. When I returned up the back way there was my spare in the middle of my logging road half way up. The wing nut on the old 98 broke off from living in streams around here. R...