DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   Eco boost vs. Hemi (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152250)

Hemi N Haw 09-04-2013 11:55 PM

Eco boost vs. Hemi

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but seriously I watched a B.S. video on youtube about how the ecoboost was out hauling a 6500lb trailer that the ram 5.7 hemi was struggling w/. In the video the ford had what appeared to be heated seats on & the tow/haul mode engaged. In the ram they had it in regular trans mode & the A/C was engaged when these quote on quote tests were performed. I only became interested in the rivalry after my cousin just picked one up & was bragging about it. I like his truck & wish him the best w/ his new ford. I just found it funny that they make two trucks w/ almost identical specs sound so different. Ram 5.7 hemi =390 hp @ 5600 rpm / 407 ftlbs @ 4000 rpm of torque. F-150 Ecoboost = 365 hp @ 5000 rpm /420 ftlbs at 2500 rpm. Ford gives their trucks best rear gearing -3:73's Ram -3:92's. My money says either this is a dead heat or a bumpers difference either way & it wouldn't make a difference either way. In the end there's no way even under boost that the fords gonna destroy the ram in this contest or much of any other. I will say them leaf spring boys keep upping their haul & tow ratings over ram. But who care if you can haul a house when the journey to your lot leaves your teeth broken & your ass numb!
:LOL:

JrFuel 09-05-2013 12:49 AM

I'll stick with my HEMI! <grin>

guru1ofatl 09-05-2013 01:59 AM

Some are calling them eco bursts for a reason. When it comes to working I'll take a naturally aspirated V8 over a turbo V6 any day of the week. Diesels are another story.

Hermes1 09-05-2013 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll also keep my Hemi over a Eco-Boost. I am not all that thrilled with that turbo. Turbos came out of the racing world, where they were designed to go like hell over short periods of time. How they hold up in real world applications is questionable.

Arth 09-05-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hermes1 (Post 1193428)
I'll also keep my Hemi over a Eco-Boost. I am not all that thrilled with that turbo. Turbos came out of the racing world, where they were designed to go like hell over short periods of time. How they hold up in real world applications is questionable.

I don't think it is the turbo as much as it is the application. A twin turbo v6 being mass produced. Eh.

Turbo diesels have been doing just fine though.

Hermes1 09-05-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arth (Post 1193436)
I don't think it is the turbo as much as it is the application. A twin turbo v6 being mass produced. Eh.

Turbo diesels have been doing just fine though.

Maybe, although you have correctly pointed out the success of the turbo diesels. But, from what I have read and heard, the turbo's in the Eco-Boost have been experiencing numerous problems.

dawoodsman 09-05-2013 12:03 PM

I thought about a ferd ecoboost for my new truck for about 5 seconds. Didn't think paying a premium for a complicated engine that is having all kinds of trouble in trucks getting worse MPG than they are rated for made much sense!

It's my belief they do tow like a son of a gun though. Too many testimonials to deny that--the folks who live in mountainous country sing their praises quite a bit.

Piston Slap 09-05-2013 12:43 PM

Link to video? Interested in checking out.

battlerattle 09-05-2013 12:53 PM

I wonder if this is like the C&D article about the one tons where Chevy dominated. Test was conducted on the Chevy test track, with all vehicle being provided by chevy, all trailers provided by chevy. The Silverado 3500 was decked out with low gears, aftermarket tires, fully optioned. The Ford and Ram were bottom of the barrel 1 tons with much higher gears and no options.

slow-at-rc 09-05-2013 04:28 PM

The only reason the Eco turd pulls so well is the way the power comes on at 2500 rpm after that the things spent