DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   200k miles...what maint. would you do? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152253)

mcompton1973 09-04-2013 11:33 PM

200k miles...what maint. would you do?

I will be honest. I am NOT the worlds best preventative maintenance guy. But my truck is about to hit 200k miles. I bought it a little over a year ago with about 150k and use it to travel as a salesman. Almost all miles are highway. I had planned on trading it off (normally I only drive Fords), and finally just realized that it seems solid. In 15 months I have had to put gas in, and change oil, and replace one wheel bearing (I know i should have done both but money didnt allow for it at the time. I cant ask for a lot more than that...but MPGs are starting to drop...and I figure if I get all the maintenance back up I will get some of that pep and mpgs back.

Should I switch to full synthetic oil?

I know I need shocks. Any other front end things I should test for? I am putting breaks on tomorrow, so any quick little 'tests' I can do I will while I have it on a jack stand.

Flush Transmission? Radiator? Any other fluids you would mess with?

Also I know I need spark plugs and wires. I know there are 16. Is there a consensus best brand of plugs or wires? I am hoping they have been done once before...but I really dont know.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

RogerRamJet 09-05-2013 12:06 AM

The best brand is the OEM, which is NGK for the HEMI, I believe. The part number should be on the gap sticker. As far as fluids, change them all out as time and money permits. The sooner the better. Synthetic will definitely be a good idea, but again, as money permits. Shocks are easy to replace and they're not too expensive. While you've got it up in the air, with the tires on, grab the tires and push/pull on opposite sides. What you're checking for is to see if there is any play in the bearing and/or the lower ball joint. The ball joints in our 3rd gen Rams are famous for going south. Check all your seals and gaskets for leaks. Other than that, keep doing what your doing and you should get a lot more life out of the beast.

shawnu 09-05-2013 12:26 AM

Blinker fluid!! Cant forget that!! Lol.

Nahhh what has been mentioned pretty much sums it up.
Good luck!!

RogerRamJet 09-05-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawnu (Post 1193299)
Blinker fluid!! Cant forget that!! Lol.

Nahhh what has been mentioned pretty much sums it up.
Good luck!!

Damit! Muffler bearing grease too. Can't forget that.

wchnu 09-06-2013 06:15 AM

Rotate the air in the tires?

RogerRamJet 09-06-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wchnu (Post 1194144)
Rotate the air in the tires?

That's always good. Gotta keep fresh air in them so they can percolate.

wchnu 09-07-2013 12:31 AM

In a serious note. How about timing chain?

RogerRamJet 09-07-2013 01:31 AM

If it was a belt, I would say most definitely. But chains usually don't break... usually. With that said, why not? And since you're gonna have the coolant drained anyway, do the water pump as well. Good idea, wnchu!