DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic Discussion (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   HA HA Carfax in big trouble (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152300)

will36 09-05-2013 06:52 PM

HA HA Carfax in big trouble

I just seen on the news. Carfax has a 150 million dollar suit filed against them.

Good you bull#hit people to make a killing expect to get your hat handed to you.

DarthRam 09-05-2013 06:58 PM

Story and link to 20/20 video:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...20-u-s-dealers

dawoodsman 09-05-2013 08:06 PM

sorry double post

dawoodsman 09-05-2013 08:11 PM

I have never seen any claims by carfax that their information is totally complete or even totally accurate. I HAVE seen bitter, bitter complaints by car dealers about them a number of times. In some cases their bitterness is clear--Carfax has cost them $$!

The only thing that smells about this auto dealers lawsuit is the claims of price fixing. Toss the book at them if that's true, but forgive me if I have a hard time thinking car dealers claims are trustworthy or that theyhave the consumers best interests at heart!

It like anything else that isn't perfect. Those that don't like them will harp about the imperfections, those that don't know about their problems will get burned, and those that use them with eyes wide open will find them useful at times.

I have used autocheck because it's cheaper, they are run by experian I think, one of the large credit reporting agencies. I do like the more detailed history carfax supplies however.

Only time I got burned on a used car would not have been caught by any of them--and was likely perpetrated by a body shop/used car huckster before it got to the dealer I bought it from. Very good condition clean/clean title car had a different cat converter on it, most likely because said shop took it off and sold it or someone stole it and the shop tried to sneak a similar one on. Problem was it wasn't close enough to stock to avoid tossing codes endlessly and even cut mileage a tad--and the OEM replacement was NOT cheap (probably why the original was gone in the first place).

Illegal as hell in my state but no way to prove who did it or hold anyone responsible. I bet those responsible hate carfax though! :-)

GTyankee 09-05-2013 08:48 PM

I remember a TV station doing a thing on a dealership

The dealer was selling a vehicle with a clean Carfax
vehicle looked clean, almost perfect

the only thing was, the crew looked into the vehicles center console & under the owners manual & some other pamphlets, was a repair bill
the vehicle had been in a major accident & the invoice was from a frame straightening & other repairs related to the accident

the vehicle was suppose to be SOLD as a SALVAGE TITLE

sonocativo 09-06-2013 05:46 AM

I bought a 2004 Grand Am from Enterprise rental for $16K, car fax was clean, but in the sun the paint was different on the front fender ( bought it at night so I didn't notice at first) they said it was never repaired... The ticker is, I got friends in body shops, they say if it isn't reported to insurance company or if the body shop never reports it, then carfax wont know. Also say someone rents a car and has a boo boo, they pay cash and keep it off the record and return a car like it was never scratched...so carfax isn't bullet proof.

Grubrunner 09-06-2013 08:35 AM

Credit where credit's due.

they due provide disclaimers fine-printed on their reports.

bigdaddyII 09-07-2013 02:18 PM

A co worker just traded off his 2012 Ram 1500 for a 2013 Ram 1500.
He bought the 2012 used about 8 months ago. Car Fax came back clean and he bought the truck. A couple weeks ago he went in to a body shop to have a dent fixed, and the body shop noticed bondo in the area of the dent and ended up uncovering a major repair.

Chunkem 09-07-2013 02:50 PM

WOW....I guess when it comes right down to it.....If your looking at a used vehicle they dealer shouldn't have any issues with the vehicle being taken to your own contact to be looked over.....

Hermes1 09-07-2013 03:09 PM

I saw the same story and have mixed feelings about it, perhaps because I do not know all the facts, but Carfax does have disclaimers on their reports. It also has been pretty clear, at least to me, Carfax reports are generated from police reports and insurance claims and it is quite possible for vehicle owners to circumvent both. I have always used Carfax as a tool and guide, relying mostly on my own and a pro's inspection. It seems dealerships have the most to benefit by a suit against Carfax, and there are many bad apples there.