DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   2006 Issues (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152381)

mk1807 09-06-2013 09:20 PM

2006 Issues

Ok guys, this is my first post on this forum, but im not stranger to forums or Vehicles. Im looking at a 2006 ram 2500, with the 5.7 Hemi, to purchase. The engine is making a "ticking" or "knocking". The guy im getting it from has had it for a few week and has put about 1000 miles on it. He said the noise hasnt gotten any worse in that 1k miles (truck has 150k on it). Im on the fence about weather or not its a bottom end noises or a lifter (or something similar) in the head. Im going into the deal thinking worst case scenario (new engine) but would love to be able to fix whats wrong with the current engine.

The CEL was on and it showed a misfire on cyl1. The truck does have an obvious miss at idle, but runs great otherwise. I am curious if this "ticking" could be caused by the misfire. I know a misfire can cause a knock or tick, but im not sure if thats an issue with the 5.7. The sound is there through out acceleration but when you get up to cruising speed its less noticeable. When ya drive the truck you can definitely hear the sound through the exhaust. The fact that the problem hasnt gotten any worse kinda makes me hopeful that the misfire is the cause of the noise. Opinions?

age525 10-12-2013 01:01 PM

It could be an exhaust leak from one of the manifolds which could be a pain to fix depending on if any of the bolts broke. other than that there is always the HEMI "tick" which is present in all of them which is sometimes mistaken for an exhaust leak. The misfire is likely the sparkplugs or a bad coil pack.

hydrex 10-12-2013 02:14 PM

A bad lifter is very rare, but I had one fail at 185,000 miles on my 05. It would make a fairly loud tap ever second at idle and mine threw a cyl #8 misfire. I checked plugs in that cylinder= ok, next bore scoped cylinder #8 perfect. Next removed intake manifold, and passenger side head after draining cooling system and removing radiator. You have to buy the set of lifters , not all of them, but 4 and the plastic retainer. Your cam shaft will be toast as well. I already had a sidewinder cam, it was damaged, so I replaced with a spartan + from Inertia. It's a pretty hot cam, but I like it. You might find a used cam on this or other mopar forums. I bought 2 used sidewinders on LX forums. You can also use a SRT8 cam for a 6.1 hemi, but you will need a Crowler adjustable cam kit. Hope it's exhaust leak, but the cyl misfire sounds like a lifter. Make sure you get it cheap enough to justify the extra work. Figure 8-10 hours labor, a cam(up to $475) head bolts, head gasket, SRT8 valve springs and push rods if you upgrade cam,new lifters, etc.

Topdragster 10-27-2013 10:25 PM

i just fixed a #1 misfire in my 06 by replacing the plugs. it even already had platinums in it that looked good but the change to the #3 autolites fixed my problem.

moparmike07 11-23-2013 08:16 PM

Try the ngk 5306 plugs

dalboa 11-24-2013 08:30 PM

BTW. Have you checked to see if there are any stored codes?