DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Only hot or cold? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152465)

LittleRed 09-08-2013 08:28 AM

Only hot or cold?

Hi guys I'm taking my dash out to replace my heater core. Never had my dash out before and I'm trying to do it only once haha. The other problem I have is I only have hot or cold air. In between it will just switch to all the way hot or cold. And sometimes if I have my A/C on for awhile it will start blowing hot air? Any ideas? This has been this way since I bought the truck with only 43,000 miles on it. :4-dontknow: 2001 half ton. Oh and I'm new here so thanks for any help. Figured I could fix 2 problems while I'm behind there.

LittleRed 09-15-2013 08:03 AM

Ok I'm into taking the dash out of the truck. I even removed the seats so I have plenty of room to work. I understand how it comes out but I'm having trouble removing the gauge cluster. All screws are out that you can see from the front of it. Its loose but still seems like something is holding it in. I"m reading a book that describes the whole dash removal on the 97 and older dash. So my question really is do the gauges have to be removed? can I roll the whole dash back and then unplug it? I even have the steering column laid down and you still cant see underneath the cluster. Any information on this I appreciate.

Warlock III 09-18-2013 06:31 PM

You should be able to get up behind there and unplug it because there's not much wire to the cluster it's tight. Stick your cell phone up there on video and see where the clip is on the wire before you try to pull the plug.

That is assuming you have a cell phone.

EDIT:

Oh, duh...check the vaccum line going to the actuator on the passenger's side to see if that's the problem with the hot/cold issue.

LittleRed 09-24-2013 09:32 PM

Thanks warlock! I ended up pulling a couple plugs. Got the dash out. All vacuum lines look really good so far. Biggest question now is has anyone replaced the foam on the doors in their heater box? Mines literally falling apart. Wondering where I can get it. Thanks for any info. Haven't really started trouble shooting the vacuum issue yet.

Wh1t3nukle 10-02-2013 09:18 AM

Did you have leaking fluid on the passenger floor to tell you the heater core was indeed needing replacing? Most times if it has not done that, then flushing the heater core can extend it's life. Other than that your symptoms are similar to this post I made:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...75&postcount=6

However, having a new heater core is definitely a good thing.

LittleRed 10-02-2013 08:46 PM

It was actually like a year I could smell antifreeze. Very small amounts at first when I turned the heat on. It slowly got worse and then my windshield would fog up on defrost and I cannot stand the smell, feel, or look of antifreeze! haha. It never got to the point of the floor getting wet. But sure enough there was a small puddle in the heater/ a/c box and the heater core was corroded where it was leaking from. And thanks for the info I actually found somewhere else in a post about the Heater Treater metal part. Ran out in the garage and took the blend door apart and there it was... that broken plastic bushing. So I got the small metal one and I m hoping this resolves my only hot or cold deal. I m assuming it will. Unless my blend control switch itself is bad. I also got a new a/c evaporator. Cant wait to get it all back together! its going to be a warm winter and a cold summer!

LittleRed 11-06-2013 08:10 PM

Just a follow up. My dash is done and I have cold a/c and hot heat! my only hot and only cold problem was from the little plastic bushing at the blend door and the heater treater metal bushing did fix the problem. My dash was cracked. And the instrument bezel broke as soon as I tried to take it off. That being said I got a new dash pad and bezel from LMC truck. Color matches perfect and the new dash looks great! If anyone thinks about getting one from them I highly recommend it.