DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Stupid question on cooling fan (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152576)

Rogerwa 09-09-2013 07:09 PM

Stupid question on cooling fan

I have an 09 1500 that I recently purchased. Is there is an electric cooling fan somewhere in the shroud. I still have a crank driven cooling fan but I can hear an electric fan coming on and off and I cannot see it in there. Either from the front or under the shroud. I know I am not crazy, but wanted to know if there is a stock electric fan in there or if this is a mod ther previous owner did.

Thanks.

racecar67 09-10-2013 11:13 AM

Thats for your A/C condenser. It will only come on when you have the A/C on.

RogerRamJet 09-10-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racecar67 (Post 1196759)
Thats for your A/C condenser. It will only come on when you have the A/C on.

It will be on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

snrusnak 09-10-2013 09:02 PM

^roger the 3rd gens are different than the 4th gens.

To the original poster, yes you have both a clutch fan and electric fan oem. The electric fan only runs when the AC is on or if the coolant temp reaches 222 deg F. The "hybrid" system as they call it works very well. Better than an efan alone. I've experimented with just the electric fan and performance and cooling was best with the hybrid system.

Rogerwa 09-10-2013 09:22 PM

Thanks for the replies. Is the electric between the radiator and ac condenser? Looking in there I can hear it just can't see it.

snrusnak 09-10-2013 09:24 PM

No it's on the engine side of the radiator just like typical. It's just hard to see because the shroud is so large.

RogerRamJet 09-10-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snrusnak (Post 1197126)
^roger the 3rd gens are different than the 4th gens.

In my best "Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor' voice... OOOOOOOOOO? How are they different? I have a clutch fan for the engine coolant and an e fan for the a/c condenser. The e fan is to the left of the clutch fan (drivers point of view).

snrusnak 09-10-2013 11:07 PM

On 4th gens the ac condenser and radiator are in line like most vehicles.

RogerRamJet 09-10-2013 11:10 PM

DOH! OK, that explains a lot. Kewl. Thanks Sean!

Rusty289 09-16-2013 08:37 AM

I actually thought they did away with the electric fan on the 2009 models when they updated them. I had an 06 with an electric fan, on that truck the A/C condenser was mounted to the drivers side of the rad and had its own electric cooling fan that ran only when the air was on. I thought it was brilliant actually, when the condenser is in front of the rad all the heat from the A/C ends up going into the rad but on the 06 they eliminated that. I have an 09 now and can't say I've ever heard or noticed an electric fan on it, now I'm going to have to go looking. Lol