DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Changing the original OEM 17" rims to OEM 20" rims (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152587)

waves 09-09-2013 09:05 PM

Changing the original OEM 17" rims to OEM 20" rims

Hello, My 2012 Dodge Ram Quad Cab SLT 4x4 Hemi has the OEM 17" rims. 265/70R17 tires, 5x5.5" bolt pattern.
I would like to install OEM 20" rims and 275/60R20tires on the truck. I think the bigger rims look way better.
The 17" tires are 30.5" and the 20" are 33".

I think trucks with OEM 17 inch wheels are spec'd with 3.55 rear gear ratio.
Trucks with OEM 20 inch wheels are spec'd with a 3.92 rear gear ratio.
Can anyone confirm this?.
If the gear ratios are above I would lose some torque pulling a heavy load...but unsure how much.

I understand I should get the speedometer re-programmed.

Has anyone with OEM 17" rims on their truck gone up to the 20"?

Can I just go ahead and do this without any clearance or other issues?

If anyone could provide any advice let me know, Thanks! Dwayne

Gantman 09-09-2013 09:11 PM

I can confirm that some 3.55's come with the Chrome Clad 20's, especially on the BigHorn/Lonestar packages.

LowUFO 09-09-2013 09:48 PM

Yeah, wheels have nothing to do with which gear ratios are spec'd on the vehicle. I have a Sport Crew w 20s and 3.55 gears.
Yes, you'll need to recalibrate your speedo because the difference in tire diameter is 1.4" and circumference is 4.4%.
And yes, swapping your 17s to 20s will not be an issue clearance-wise.

jleblanc 09-10-2013 12:52 AM

I did the same swap on my 03 changed the tires to 275-55-20 and the speedo is dead on the money.

brandonjansen 09-10-2013 12:18 PM

As others have mentioned the size of the wheels has nothing to do with the gear ratio. It has to do with the trim level of your truck. The more basic trim levels come with the smaller wheels and tires since they are cheaper.

You won't have any clearance issues running the bigger wheels and tires. Your suspension set up is exactly the same as a stock Ram that came with the 20's and 33's. But you will need to get your speedo reprogrammed in order to keep it and your odometer correct. The dealership should be able to do that for you no problem. You will also notice slight power loss stepping up to the larger tire but it will be very minimal.

Where are you getting the OEM 20's from? Are you buying them new? Online? Trade? The one thing you will want to be sure of there is that the TPMS sensors are correct for your truck. The frequencies of the sensors change over the years so you will need to make sure they are compatible with your 2012.

waves 09-11-2013 09:55 PM

Thanks for the replays, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything stupid, just in case I was missing something. I am looking at buying used rims....re. It seems younger guys like to put on black rims and therefore sell the chrome or aluminum ones. Seeing 20" rims for sale quite a bit. I am also looking at taking the sensors off my old rims...not sure yet.
Again, thanks!!!

Gantman 09-11-2013 10:31 PM

It's too bad I am so far from you. Otherwise I would've just traded up with ya. My 20" Clads for your 17's. Canada would be nice to visit from Texas.

idefi 09-12-2013 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waves (Post 1198013)
Thanks for the replays, I just wanted to be sure I wasn't doing anything stupid, just in case I was missing something. I am looking at buying used rims....re. It seems younger guys like to put on black rims and therefore sell the chrome or aluminum ones. Seeing 20" rims for sale quite a bit. I am also looking at taking the sensors off my old rims...not sure yet.
Again, thanks!!!

You can buy mine :smileup: