DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   radio static 8.4a (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152614)

fireman21 09-10-2013 01:53 AM

radio static 8.4a

anyone else getting a lot of static with their radio and or poor reception? i mostly notice it with reg radio on but with sat radio not really at all...anyone notice it get better with changing the antenna? thanks

GTyankee 09-10-2013 02:39 AM

several members have had the antenna replaced
hopefully they will see this posting

edge35 09-10-2013 05:33 AM

There is a software update that will supposedly be released on the 16th that, among other things, corrects some FM audio quality issues. I'd wait a few days and see if it causes problems for anyone and if not have your dealer install the update.

dawoodsman 09-10-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edge35 (Post 1196658)
There is a software update that will supposedly be released on the 16th that, among other things, corrects some FM audio quality issues. I'd wait a few days and see if it causes problems for anyone and if not have your dealer install the update.

X2

I have the same static problem (most noticeable with talk radio) and plan to try the update first when it comes out. I had a Ram service advisor (manufacturer one, not a dealer) who wasn't aware of any issue--checked with his co-workers--and came back to tell me yes, Ram is aware of this issue, and they believe the fix coming on the 16th will fix it.

I hope so, I listen to a fair amount of talk radio while on the road. I don't think it's a speaker issue as i don't notice the problem with music. Can't wrap my head around it being an antenna issue when not all transmission is affected, either.

KJ48 09-10-2013 10:40 AM

The FM is pretty bad but its livable, why they put HD radio on these is kind of funny since it has issues with regular FM. AM is almost unusable on mine, engine spark noise and RF hash is terrible, I doubt any update will fix that. Maybe they can boost the FM sensitivity some with the new software, hopefully.

The talk radio on sat radio was horrible on mine when I first got it and has gotten better since the 3.15 and 3.19 update, its way better than it was.

fireman21 09-10-2013 10:45 PM

what about the stubby antennas? do they help or hurt reception? hopefully the update will solve the problem thats for sure

edge35 09-10-2013 11:39 PM

I had stubby antennas on both my 2009 and 2010 Rubicons in order to make room for my windshield mounted lights and noticed no difference in reception between them and the factory antenna. I live about 30 miles from where most of the stations I listen to broadcast from and had no problems whatsoever.

LawlessRam 09-11-2013 12:28 AM

I've had this issue since I got my truck. Took it in for the radio update and it's been a lot better since

Whiplash 09-11-2013 06:45 AM

had the update available a few weeks back done when i got the brake controller flashed and it didn't do anything good for AM..
i listen for traffic mostly, so AM is a huge factor for me

static pops on AM are so bad i keep checking my windshield for cracks thinking i just got smacked with a rock

JsonR 09-11-2013 08:42 AM

Reception on mine has no issues that aren't expected like signal loss when going under a bridge.

I am a n00b here so I don't know if this is well known or even correct information but isn't the radio supposed to update over the air like a cell phone now that it has 3G connectivity? Guess I will find out sometime around the 16th?