DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=184)
-   -   Transmission problem(s) (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152699)

Hudson69 09-11-2013 08:13 AM

Transmission problem(s)

Well it looks like after having my transmission serviced it no works right. It no longer shifts down into first, reverse shudders and up-shifting through the whole spectrum is horrible with lots of sudden engine rev-ups(?) for no reason.

What is wrong with this thing? Is is an adjustment, a broken band or a full on overhaul that needs to happen?

Simple guy 09-12-2013 01:28 AM

what do you mean serviced?

Hudson69 09-16-2013 06:33 AM

I had the transmission flushed. Apparently nothing had been done till now; at 190K miles.

Gen1dak 09-16-2013 03:16 PM

Hard to say, but I'd be on someone at that shop. They may have just blown trash all through the system, but most places are less familiar with Mopar service requirements. Broken bands can result since the mentality is to tighten down as tight as possible, when that isn't the procedure. Incorrect transmission fluid is used. Universal IS NOT universal, but is acceptable as a top off til it can be changed. The newer electronic models are much more sensitive to trash as the sensors will be affected. I'd lean towards trash first. With that mileage, it's actually earned a rebuild.

starquestbd22 09-16-2013 04:50 PM

I'm no tranny expert and you will likely get differing opinions on this but I have read and been told by my mechanic (that I trust) that flushing a tranny with that many miles on it and that has never been flushed, drained and filled, or otherwise maintained previously is not a good idea.

I also would be curious to know where you had it flushed and what type of flushing machine they used. I personally would never have that type of service performed anywhere but at the dealership.

Anyway, I would start by PROPERLY checking the fluid level if you haven't already. If you do not know the proper way to check it, consult your owner's manual or respond back here and we will get it to you. It's not as simple as walking out and pulling the dipstick out.

Regardless of what you find, I would go back to whoever flushed it and politely (if possible) but firmly find out exactly what brand and type of tranny fluid they used and how much they put in it. The brand isn't that important but it must be ATF+4.

Let us know what you find.

Hudson69 09-17-2013 05:35 AM

I am going to try and find out what fluid they use at TireWorld in Colo Spgs but a neighbor, who is also a mechanic, brought home his full computer scanner. He said that the engine and transmission both are not showing any codes. He said that this seems to indicate that there is something mechanically wrong inside the tranny. I am veering to side of caution and am probably going to get a rebuild transmission and swap it out unless someone knows a miracle cure.

starquestbd22 09-17-2013 08:05 AM

I would certainly verify that the proper amount and type of fluid is in the tranny and that the filters are installed correctly before counting it a total loss but that's just me. You would be surprised what issues these things could cause if not correct.

Second piece of advice....never let anyone besides the dealer or a reputable trans shop touch your tranny again

Wolf907 10-06-2013 01:40 PM

I just bought a 97 ram 1500 4x2. its a nice ride after the transmission warms up. sometimes it feels like it doesn't want to let go of first gear when under light throttle pressure. its not slipping i don't think. it just feels funny. i have never done any adjustments on a transmission before, was wondering what specific tools ill need replace the filter and make proper adjustments on those bands. i understand that ill need a torxwrench, torque rachet, and a half inch square socket? please help me!!! :)