DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   McGaughy's deluxe 2/4 drop installed...questions answered (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152705)

Swampmoose 09-11-2013 09:36 AM

McGaughy's deluxe 2/4 drop installed...questions answered

Just installed the 2/4 drop spindle kit this week and wanted to answer some of the questions I had before I ordered it for anyone out there thinking about doing it. I searched for days trying to find info before I ordered mine...

First off the kit is very well made and i didn't have to modify any of the parts to install it. My main concern was that I was going to have to grind the spindles like mentioned in a few threads... I'm pretty sure that only applies to 2013's as mine had plenty of room and doesn't rub at all. Not saying that applies to every 2012 and older, but there was plenty of room on mine and on the 07 I installed for a buddy this week.

Another concern I had was the front wheels sticking out... Yes, it does widen the front track a little(mine less than a 1/2" on each side), but I would have to point it out to 9 out of 10 people for them to even notice it.

Special tools required... a 3lb sledge, a set of large wrenches or sockets(18mm to 27mm was the set I got), and a grinder/cutting wheel.

The ball joints on mine were not hard at all. Two love taps with the sledge and they fell right out. The instructions say to cut the bottom ball joint stud even with the nut when you install the new spindle... I didn't do that because if I go to sell or trade it in I will most likely put it back to stock. It still has plenty of clearance and if you go to remove it and if the ball joint spins you have nothing to grab ahold of to double wrench it and get the nut off(which I had to do on all 4)

It also says to grind the cups for the stock bump stops flush... didn't do that either. The supplied bump stops line up with the cups and again, I'll be going back to stock eventually. I'm sure there's a good reason(liability) the instructions say to do these things... as someone probably tried to jump a hill and trashed their wheel or rear end, but I don't plan on doing that so I think i'll be fine.

My truck drove great right after it was done, no pulling or wobble at highway speeds. The steering wheel was off a little to the left when going straight and I took it the next morning to get aligned which corrected that and any camber issues caused by the drop.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to answser some of the questions I had when trying to choose a kit myself. Feel free to ask any other questions or if you're in the Tucson/Phoenix area hit me up and I'll be glad to help with a install! Pics coming soon!

LawlessRam 09-11-2013 01:08 PM

Nice write up. Looking forward to seeing some pictures. I was hoping you had a 2013 cause I want this same kit but heard about some issues with it. Non the less great write up!

shawnu 09-11-2013 10:07 PM

Good write up for something we dont hear too much about!!

And i do believe the grinding on the spindle only applies to the '13+ models.

Swampmoose 09-11-2013 10:12 PM

Thanks guys! I have a buddy with a 2013 that i'm trying to convince needs to lower it. If he pulls the trigger on the kit I'll definitely take some pics of the install.

LawlessRam 09-11-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Swampmoose (Post 1197955)
Thanks guys! I have a buddy with a 2013 that i'm trying to convince needs to lower it. If he pulls the trigger on the kit I'll definitely take some pics of the install.

That would be great! Make sure to take some pictures of what needs to be grinded down so us with 2013s know what we are getting ourselfs into :smiley_thumbs_up:

Swampmoose 09-11-2013 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LawlessRam (Post 1198004)
That would be great! Make sure to take some pictures of what needs to be grinded down so us with 2013s know what we are getting ourselfs into :smiley_thumbs_up:

I'll definitely do that!:smileup:

Hemi HFE 01-12-2014 10:12 AM

Nice write-up :thumb:

Can you comment more on the difference in ride and handling after the 2/4 drop?