DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   *Installing now* HIDs wont light up? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152929)

DatacomGuy 09-14-2013 10:48 AM

*Installing now* HIDs wont light up?

Installing HIDs.. 55w ballasts, H11 bulbs, Error code eliminators.. Everything wires up but neither side will power up. Truck running or not.

I've reversed polarity at the bulb side, ive tried removing the eliminators, and i've even tried some 35w ballasts i have laying around, and nothing is working.

Im missing something, just can't put a finger on it. Thoughts?

Asur 09-14-2013 11:10 AM

First, what kind of kit did you get, did you order it with a wire harness? is this kit specific for the 2013 Ram 1500? Did you test it outside the truck before installing it? if you take the ballast and bulb and plug it direct to the battery does it light up? you say you had a 35watt kit laying around so I am presuming this is not the first time your installing HID's on a vehicle.

DatacomGuy 09-14-2013 11:17 AM

DDM 55w kit. No harness, using factory wiring. Read all over here that most people were having success with PnP so i figured i'd have no issues.

Asur 09-14-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatacomGuy (Post 1199504)
DDM 55w kit. No harness, using factory wiring. Read all over here that most people were having success with PnP so i figured i'd have no issues.

I myself after 15 years of using HID's in all my vehicles I prefer using a wire harness, no chance of screwing up the BCM or light controllers, I have even seen some there light switches have blown, 55watt HID's pull about 10amps when powering on, then they fall to .something when lite. Anyways, that does not solve your problem, does your ballast and bulb trigger when plugged to the battery direct? If you plug your halogen bulb back in does it light up when you turn your lights on?

DatacomGuy 09-14-2013 11:34 AM

Halogen lights up fine when plugged back in.

Without a harness, i have no way to connect direct to battery.

Asur 09-14-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatacomGuy (Post 1199520)
Halogen lights up fine when plugged back in.

Without a harness, i have no way to connect direct to battery.

True, you would need a plug that has 2 wires to it, you can find those at your local pep boys or napa parts place. I would test my HID's outside the truck first or on the battery direct, since your halogens are working fine, put those in and your good, nothing is blown, once you know your HID kit is working well outside the truck, then get it installed. I have read some others have no issues with DDM so you might have 2 locked ballasts or something. Like I said, best to test direct to see. I would also suggest you get a wire harness, its more work but your better off. If you do go that route, get a good one with all the caps and resistors, also get one made for your truck, check out retrosolutions or theretrofitsource. This again is JMO

DatacomGuy 09-14-2013 01:33 PM

I tried a 35w ballast that i know works, and no dice for that one also.

I think harness is the fix

Asur 09-14-2013 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DatacomGuy (Post 1199592)
I tried a 35w ballast that i know works, and no dice for that one also.

I think harness is the fix

Agree, would still like to confirm that all the ballasts your installing are good. 2$ plug and wire would prove that. :smileup:

gcscott 09-15-2013 09:44 AM

If you connect the ballast directly to the battery using jumper wire and the bulbs lights up and does not flicker. Than you know that part works correctly. When you connect it with the factory wiring and get nothing or flickering you need to get a wiring harness. You do not have enough power coming through the factory wiring to light off the ballast.

I put 35 watt DDM Tuning fog light HID's in mine and I had to use a wiring harness to get the bulbs to work. Factory wiring didn't have enough power to fire the ballast.

Greg

DatacomGuy 09-24-2013 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcscott (Post 1200062)
If you connect the ballast directly to the battery using jumper wire and the bulbs lights up and does not flicker. Than you know that part works correctly. When you connect it with the factory wiring and get nothing or flickering you need to get a wiring harness. You do not have enough power coming through the factory wiring to light off the ballast.

I put 35 watt DDM Tuning fog light HID's in mine and I had to use a wiring harness to get the bulbs to work. Factory wiring didn't have enough power to fire the ballast.

Greg

So you needed a wiring harness for the fogs too?