DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior Modifications - Custom Audio / Video (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Upgrade standard wheel controls to uconnect (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=152965)

Medic860 09-14-2013 06:37 PM

Upgrade standard wheel controls to uconnect

I have searched this forum and looked but could not find the info I was looking for. I have an rer 730n radio but I don't have the steering wheel controls. All I have is the evic and speed control buttons on my wheel. Can someone point me in the direction or parts numbers to get these installed on my truck? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Jhouse 09-14-2013 08:05 PM

I just added the evic switch to mine. To get the part number i went on autotrader n looked at 12 rams until i saw the switch i needed then i used that trucks vin to order the part. When ur ready to put the switch in let me know i can give u detailed instuctions

Medic860 09-15-2013 08:15 AM

I do have the evic switches already. But I am looking for the controls for the stereo and phone. Is it the vin from other trucks the key to finding the parts?

Jhouse 09-15-2013 09:15 AM

It was for me. The button on the left side is what you will need. It will have 6 dif symbols on it. U have a st right? Do u have uconnect already? The stereo control is on the back of the wheel i believe? On mine i dont have radio control or uconnect

Medic860 09-15-2013 09:49 AM

Yes, I have the 730n rer radio. I just push the buttons on the radio for phone and what not. Kinda a pain sometimes. It would be easier to have the steering wheel controls. I have seen some stuff on ebay, Laramie wheels with the stuff I need, but they are usually hacked up or broken......

Jhouse 09-15-2013 09:57 AM

The switch for uconnect should be no prob but im not sure about radio controls. U may need to do some wiring for that. The 12's have diferent controls than 09-11. I think just swapping the switch will give u ease of uconnect control. I'll see if i can get u a part number for that. For the radio switch ur gonna need the switch and prob a new back cover too

Jhouse 09-15-2013 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the switch u want right? i would just contact a vendor and use this vin 1C6RD7NT4CS225173 youd have to ask them about the radio control and cover then

Medic860 09-15-2013 06:41 PM

That's the one. Thankyou. You have been a big help.

daviddup78 09-21-2013 12:19 AM

i would like to know how to install the switches also. I have them on my 2012 Ram 1500 lonestar ed with uconnect with the usb in glove box. my friend has a 2012 ram 3500 with the same radio and unconnect but didnt have usb , well we found the usb behind the glove box. so does that mean he has the wires for the steering controls? or how can we find out. and details about how you installed yours plz

Jhouse 09-22-2013 03:03 PM

You'd probaly have to open the wheel to check. To do that u need to first disconnect battery(very important). Remove the lower knee panel. 1 screw on each side then it pops out. Then 3 t20 torx screws under the colomn shroud. Top lifts off bottom u gotta wiggle out around tilt lever. Next is airbag removal. Make sure battery had been disconnected for 30 min. Put a mirror at your guage cluster as u have to work on the back of wheel. Theres 3 u shaped metal clips at 2 6 and 10 oclock. To remove them slide a flat screwdriver under them and twist it so they release. Theres two wire harnesses that connect the air bag. Mark which goes where and then remove. Then theres 4 screws in front and 4 in back that hold the bezel on. Remove them and pull the bezel out. Then you can see what u need to