DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Exterior Modifications - Body Mods - Body Kits (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Door Sill Protectors (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153097)

MN13Laramie 09-16-2013 09:59 AM

Door Sill Protectors

So there is a lot of exposed paint on the door sill when you open the doors of our trucks. My last vehincle ('02 Toyota Sequoia) had some black stick on thick vinyl protectors (http://www.oempartworld.com/index.ph...god4RgAvg) for this paint? Has anyone seen anything like this for our trucks?

Thanks!
Mike

tev9999 09-16-2013 10:25 AM

Not too worried about the paint, but it looks like my dogs put a small tear in the door seal getting in the back seat. I will have to be careful to protect it with a rug or something when they get in and out.

Big Red 1 09-16-2013 10:49 AM

Just completed this project; my first mod. There is a product called Marine Mat; I bought mine at Overtons (marine supply). Each sheet is 12"x18" self adhesive with a black textured non slip finish. I sized the front sill protectors at 3.5" x 18" and the rears at 3.5" x 9", and rounded the corners using a washer and razor blade for a flawless appearance. One important reminder; the front sills are about 1/4" narrower at the front (I found this out after installing the drivers side, so I removed it and fabricated another). Due to all the curves in the sills, I started at the bottom and pulled up the backing paper about 1" and worked my way up. When I got to the inside curve, I used a screen roller to make sure it was secure. Another trick is to use wax paper behind the marine mat as you install so it wont stick where it's not supposed to; just pull up on the paper as you press on the mat. Looks awesome, and protects the paint. You can also buy 3M anti slip tape in different widths at the hardware store / Lowes / HD, that comes in three colors; Black, Gray and White. The black is like sandpaper though; the others are not.

MN13Laramie 09-16-2013 10:51 AM

I did find this after my post:

http://www.amazon.com/Clear-Universa...&keywords=xpel

The guy who did the paint protector on the front of my truck said he doesn't like to do the door sills because of all the ledges, but for $16 I might give it a try...

MN13Laramie 09-16-2013 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Red 1 (Post 1200880)
Just completed this project; my first mod. There is a product called Marine Mat; I bought mine at Overtons (marine supply). Each sheet is 12"x18" self adhesive with a black textured non slip finish. I sized the front sill protectors at 3.5" x 18" and the rears at 3.5" x 9", and rounded the corners using a washer and razor blade for a flawless appearance. One important reminder; the front sills are about 1/4" narrower at the front (I found this out after installing the drivers side, so I removed it and fabricated another). Due to all the curves in the sills, I started at the bottom and pulled up the backing paper about 1" and worked my way up. When I got to the inside curve, I used a screen roller to make sure it was secure. Another trick is to use wax paper behind the marine mat as you install so it wont stick where it's not supposed to; just pull up on the paper as you press on the mat. Looks awesome, and protects the paint. You can also buy 3M anti slip tape in different widths at the hardware store / Lowes / HD, that comes in three colors; Black, Gray and White. The black is like sandpaper though; the others are not.

Sounds interesting? Do you have any pictures?

Thanks!
Mike

Big Red 1 09-16-2013 11:11 AM

It will be next to impossible to get all the air bubbles out from under the clear film protector. I tried a test area, as I was going to use the clear originally. By the time you run the squeege over the clear plastic to get all the soapy water out, it is so scratched up (and I did use a rubber one) and you are still left with minute bubbles.

I will try to post some pictures later today. I am a new member and am not sure how to go about it as of yet.

MN13Laramie 09-16-2013 11:21 AM

Also, do you have a link to the product on Overton's site? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything?

Thanks!
Mike

BigDRammer 09-16-2013 11:46 AM

I was thinking about taking mine to Line-x and seeing if that could spray the door sills. I did it my self in a previous truck with the do it yourself rollon stuff but did not like the texture that it came out, too rough.

Big Red 1 09-16-2013 12:31 PM

It was Cabella's; sorry, I got it mixed up. Catalog number CAB-061102-01. It's manufactured by Home Quest, PO Box 366, McHenry IL; phone 815-385-6650. I bought a few sheets a while back to do some custom work on an ATV that I had at the time.

I had used Hurculiner on another truck years ago to do the door sills; it looked okay, but I agree; too much texture. The Marine Mat is perfect; not too much texture, just enough.

Big Red 1 09-16-2013 10:56 PM

I tried to upload pictures of the sill protectors, but nothing seems to happen. I'll keep trying.