DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Toyo Open Country M/T & Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Snow Performance (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153143)

J Roc 09-16-2013 07:33 PM

Toyo Open Country M/T & Nitto Trail Grappler M/T Snow Performance

Has anyone ran either of these tires in the winter? How do they perform on snow and ice? I figure they are probably not very good but love the look of them, but still need a tire to perform in the winter.I have also been looking at the Open Country AT2 Extremes, those I know are good.

Grubrunner 09-16-2013 08:28 PM

Honestly, I haven't got anything negative to say about the Toyo MT's in the snow.

I've only run this truck in powdery snow this past winter [dusting] so an honest review is absent and would be inaccurate. However, my previous truck - with the same tire/wheel setup as this one - did just fine in several snow conditions from powdery to about 8" we got here in VA a few winters back. No complaints and certainly no noticeable experiences that stuck.

Any more than that much snow and I wouldn't know

CdnoilRAM 09-16-2013 10:10 PM

Ran the Toyo's OC M/Ts on an old work truck and was less than impressed with them on snow/ice compared to other tires I've run. They have a larger contact pad which doesn't do well on ice at all, and there's little to no sipping so they don't grip. If I was looking for a Toyo winter tire I'd stick with the M55, they're pretty nifty in our winter weather. The Nittos don't have any sipping either with a large contact patch and they can skate pretty good, they're also a softer compound that hardens up more in the really cold days and will spin easier. The Dura grappler is their best tire for the snow/ice with the terra grappler coming in second.

nfd538 09-16-2013 10:52 PM

I had the Toyo mts in some deep snow a few years back they did fine.

J Roc 09-16-2013 10:58 PM

Thanks for the replies, I just don't want to be sliding around like a curling rock this winter. I think I will get the AT2 Extremes to be safe, winter can get pretty ugly up here as CdnoilRAM knows.

CdnoilRAM 09-16-2013 11:54 PM

I hear that. I personally run a set of studded Nokians for my winter rubber on the Ram and the M55s on my 6.7L SuperDuty year round. I am a big fan of the M55s for a 10ply all season tire that handles the oilfield roads.

The AT2 Extreme are an ok winter tire, at least they are sipped so you'll have better ice traction.

Canadian Hemi Pride 09-17-2013 03:00 PM

I've heard they are like show shoes with the width.. CdnoilRAM has answered you perfect. With the weather you guys get out there... M/T in the snow would suck... I'm guessing i'll be finding that out in a year out at Fort Mac.