DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   best CAI for the $$$? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153152)

Bigred74 09-16-2013 09:22 PM

best CAI for the $$$?

Ok so ive been searching on here for the best cold air intake and have heard many good things about the Volant. question is is it worth $300 when i can get a Spectre for $125. Another question i havent found answered on here is will they work with a body lift? many of them are ment to just plug and play so will this throw that off by much and if so which brand is most flexible?

any other views on throttle body spacers or tuners/programmers would be much appreciated as well. just tryin to give the truck alittle more ponies under the hood and also hopefully maybe get a few more mpg out of it.

thanks guys,
john

the persuader 09-17-2013 11:26 AM

I have no complaints with my Spectre. I doubt it would work with a body lift though unless maybe you installed the intake tube upside down.

And throttle body spacers are a waste.

Bigred74 09-17-2013 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 1201768)
I have no complaints with my Spectre. I doubt it would work with a body lift though unless maybe you installed the intake tube upside down.

And throttle body spacers are a waste.

ok thanks persuader. i am liking the look of the spectre too... the polished tube with red filter would look nice in my red dodge. ive heard mixed reviews on the throttle body spacer... thought if anything it would just add another inch to the throttle body and then i will only have to come up with a 2 inch difference because of the body lift... idk just throwin out ideas haha payday is thursday so id like to be able to have some kick ass parts in the mail this weekend!! any other suggestions you would do please feel free to chime in :smileup:

the persuader 09-18-2013 06:50 PM

I'd do a good exhaust and a tune, personally. You can also try a homemade intake setup.

Or put some money into the sound system. A good head unit, amp(s), speakers and subs will make driving more fun.

Bigred74 09-19-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the persuader (Post 1202870)
I'd do a good exhaust and a tune, personally. You can also try a homemade intake setup.

Or put some money into the sound system. A good head unit, amp(s), speakers and subs will make driving more fun.

What all would you do with the exhaust? I already have had mine done from the muffler back.. the guy recommended me an off brand of flowmaster, i think it was called VR muffler, but its like the super 40 i think.. only like 6 in long and the exhaust comes out dual right in front of my passenger rear tire... sounds mean lol
and sound system is also done... pioneer flip out touch screen with 4 kicker 6x9's and two kicker 10's with two kicker amps

i keep hearin good things about s&b cai's you think they are as good for the 2nd gen trucks? can get one for 200

and also savin up for a tuner as well, what are you running?

the persuader 09-20-2013 12:42 AM

I'm not running a tuner. Between school, gas, and my money pit truck, I'm broke. I would really like to get a Hemifever canned tune, then upgrade to a custom one from him later for $100.

I have a Magnaflow 18" muffler and true duals. It's got a good, deep tone, and I like that it doesn't have the cackle like the Flowmasters usually do, but I'd go with a 14" just to get it louder.

S&B makes good products.

Bigred74 09-20-2013 12:46 PM

yya money is tight here as well so i hear ya. Found a good deal on a s&b intake tho.. $170 when most sites are $209 so i decided to jump on it lol

As for tuning im lookin into buyin a used one... been looking at superchips 3815 and the newer superchips vivid tuner which i have found used on craigslist for 200 but can prolly talk him down. any thoughts on those? :4-dontknow:

crazzywolfie 09-20-2013 01:16 PM

if money is tight keep the stock CAI. all those cai do is give you a air sucking sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI

Bigred74 09-21-2013 04:26 PM

well i had some overtime on my paycheck so i was able to afford the intake and a few other things... if the money was in my pocket id prolly end up usin it on stupid shit anyways so went ahead and bought it since i got what i think to be a good deal on it. guess im just not good at savin up money lol

crazzywolfie 09-21-2013 08:11 PM

have you fixed your plenum gasket? could have spent the money toward fixing that if you haven't. could have also order a better throttle body. there is a guy on ebay that sell them pretty cheap compared to other companies. he also makes aluminum plenum pans.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251342488680