DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Exhaust (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Trying to put headers on... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153365)

Tyler04Hemi 09-19-2013 10:33 AM

Trying to put headers on...

Alright I'm going to buy some lt headers, but I need to find a y pipe from headers to exhaust. Any help on where to find this? 2004 hemi 1500

Thanks!

shawnu 09-19-2013 10:16 PM

What brand are they? I know pacesetter makes a nice one, or buy a magnaflow y pipe that cost like 25 bucks and have the muffler shop fab up the pipes going from the collectors to the y, shouldnt cost too much.

Good luck!!!!

Tyler04Hemi 09-20-2013 10:58 PM

Thanks! finally got one from autoanything, after two dummy reps got a good one:smileup:

shawnu 09-21-2013 10:41 AM

Haha alrighty. Have fun with the instal!!
What did you end up going with?

Give us clip when your done!!!!

Tyler04Hemi 09-23-2013 11:21 AM

Went with an offroad y pipe from pacesetter. Should install wednesday :)

starquestbd22 09-23-2013 11:41 AM

You got me interested. I have been considering doing this to my 2004 when I have the exhaust gaskets and bolts replaced due to what I believe is a slight exhaust leak. Are you working the cats back in there or are you in an area where you can get by without them? Interested to know how much the install runs you if you don't mind sharing and also what they run into (how many manifold bolts they break off, lol). Oh and of course your before and after thoughts. Thanks for sharing!!

Tyler04Hemi 09-23-2013 02:35 PM

Im a farmer lol, we have a huge shop and planning on doing the full install myself. My town has 126 people so I could probably get by without cats but I think I might try to work em back in. Although its crossed my mind to clean them out before I reinstall everything.

Ill post back on how the removal and install works out, with lt headers it should be fairly easy to line up but ill take plenty of pics :)

starquestbd22 09-23-2013 02:39 PM

Cool, didn't realize you were doing them yourself. Yeah, I wouldn't think it would be too bad. The manifolds are not that hard to get to after you remove the fender liners. The exhaust manifold bolts on these trucks are known to rust and break all by themselves, let alone when you are trying to remove them. Just something to keep in mind. Hope it goes well for ya!

Gecko 09-24-2013 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by starquestbd22 (Post 1206187)
You got me interested. I have been considering doing this to my 2004 when I have the exhaust gaskets and bolts replaced due to what I believe is a slight exhaust leak. Are you working the cats back in there or are you in an area where you can get by without them? Interested to know how much the install runs you if you don't mind sharing and also what they run into (how many manifold bolts they break off, lol). Oh and of course your before and after thoughts. Thanks for sharing!!

I paid a shop to do this all for me, though I had them install a full custom exhaust after the headers too. I believe the header install part of it was somewhere between $400-600. I know they had to drill out 3 (maybe 4) of the manifold bolts. Other than that I think that was the only problem they had while doing that part of the install.

Overall I've loved the way the truck runs and feels with the LT's and the exhaust I had done.