DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Just passed 8000 miles, noticing engine losing 1/2 qt of oil ever 4k (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153373)

turbohawk 09-19-2013 11:49 AM

Just passed 8000 miles, noticing engine losing 1/2 qt of oil ever 4k
 
I had the first oil change done "early" as the dealer kept telling me "change it when the EVIC says", but I changed it "early" anyways...wished I had changed it at 1000 or less like I usually do with new motors. So this first oil changed ending up being at just over 4000 miles, and when I checked the oil (I always check fluids at each fuel stop) noticed 1/2 quart low just prior to the first change. Now, I'm at 8200 and have the exact same 1/2 quart low on the dipstick. Is this normal for this motor? No leaks noted so I guess it's thinking it's a diesel?

I'm spoiled very badly with my Jap trucks (cars and bikes too) never, EVER needing a drop of oil between changes, no matter the interval. My wife's Cadillac burns/leaks a quart of oil every month or every 2 tanks, whichever comes first. It's now being recycled. :sad:

dparise 09-19-2013 12:10 PM

I haven't done an oil change on my pentastar yet, i'm at roughly 8500kms. I noticed the oil was getting a little low at my last fuel fill. I think its normal to consume a little bit of oil, how much of it is "acceptable" and when is it a "problem" is the question I suppose.

Trackstand 09-19-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbohawk (Post 1203328)
I had the first oil change done "early" as the dealer kept telling me "change it when the EVIC says", but I changed it "early" anyways...wished I had changed it at 1000 or less like I usually do with new motors. So this first oil changed ending up being at just over 4000 miles, and when I checked the oil (I always check fluids at each fuel stop) noticed 1/2 quart low just prior to the first change. Now, I'm at 8200 and have the exact same 1/2 quart low on the dipstick. Is this normal for this motor? No leaks noted so I guess it's thinking it's a diesel?

I'm spoiled very badly with my Jap trucks (cars and bikes too) never, EVER needing a drop of oil between changes, no matter the interval. My wife's Cadillac burns/leaks a quart of oil every month or every 2 tanks, whichever comes first. It's now being recycled. :sad:


A new auto should burn close to zero oil, if it was mine it would be dealer bound.:4-dontknow:

On The Road 09-19-2013 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbohawk (Post 1203328)
I had the first oil change done "early" as the dealer kept telling me "change it when the EVIC says", but I changed it "early" anyways...wished I had changed it at 1000 or less like I usually do with new motors. So this first oil changed ending up being at just over 4000 miles, and when I checked the oil (I always check fluids at each fuel stop) noticed 1/2 quart low just prior to the first change. Now, I'm at 8200 and have the exact same 1/2 quart low on the dipstick. Is this normal for this motor? No leaks noted so I guess it's thinking it's a diesel?

I'm spoiled very badly with my Jap trucks (cars and bikes too) never, EVER needing a drop of oil between changes, no matter the interval. My wife's Cadillac burns/leaks a quart of oil every month or every 2 tanks, whichever comes first. It's now being recycled. :sad:

This is my first Ram & Hemi. When I was researching the Hemi one thing that kept coming up was the need for a "Catch Can" for the line from the PCV valve to the throttle body.

I put one on and check it every thousand miles or so. It has a good 1-2oz of oil in it.

From my experience it's not burning it in the cylinder via bad rings etc. It the crank pressure and the vacuum they have set up on the Hemi. The catch can keep the intake and heads from being gummed up.

I just had my first oil change so at 5200 miles so well see if it remains the same or improves as certainly the engine is starting to break in.

Hermes1 09-19-2013 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trackstand (Post 1203420)
A new auto should burn close to zero oil, if it was mine it would be dealer bound.:4-dontknow:


It sounds like a lot to me, I too would be having a conversation with your dealer.

20hemi10 09-20-2013 12:23 AM

This is straight from Chrysler.

Oil Consumption- The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).

ValleyRacer 09-20-2013 02:04 AM

There's nothing wrong with your engine
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbohawk (Post 1203328)
I had the first oil change done "early" as the dealer kept telling me "change it when the EVIC says", but I changed it "early" anyways...wished I had changed it at 1000 or less like I usually do with new motors. So this first oil changed ending up being at just over 4000 miles, and when I checked the oil (I always check fluids at each fuel stop) noticed 1/2 quart low just prior to the first change. Now, I'm at 8200 and have the exact same 1/2 quart low on the dipstick. Is this normal for this motor? No leaks noted so I guess it's thinking it's a diesel?

I'm spoiled very badly with my Jap trucks (cars and bikes too) never, EVER needing a drop of oil between changes, no matter the interval. My wife's Cadillac burns/leaks a quart of oil every month or every 2 tanks, whichever comes first. It's now being recycled. :sad:

It's the oil you're using. You may need to experiment with a different brand, viscosity, weight, synthetic or filter.
The truck doesn't "think it's a diesel, hybrid or natural gas" as some Freudian confusion.
What oil are you using? Be specific about the brand and weight.

rambill 09-20-2013 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 20hemi10 (Post 1203899)
This is straight from Chrysler.

Oil Consumption- The accepted rate of oil consumption for engines used in the vehicles listed above is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 3,200 km (2,000 mi) for the 1st 80,467 km (50,000 mi). For vehicles with more then 80,467 km (50,000 mi) the acceptable oil consumption for engines is 0.946 liter (1 qt.) in 1,207 km (750 mi).

May be from Chrysler but it is unacceptable and unreasonable to me.

Asur 09-20-2013 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambill (Post 1204302)
May be from Chrysler but it is unacceptable and unreasonable to me.


Oil consumption on the Hemi Engine is normal during the break in period, depending on how you use your truck and if you tow will determine how the engine will break in and how long it will take, usually between 3k - 6k you will burn approximately 1/2 a quart of oil, some have indicated that it takes up to 10k for the oil consumption to slow down, people who tow allot with there trucks say they will burn more oil due to towing, usually around 1/2 quart for every 3k. Even the owners manual indicates that during the break in period "3k" expect oil consumption. Apparently this is something the Hemi Engine is known for, you will read this same information for Jeep, challanger, etc.

chrisb38002 09-20-2013 06:40 PM

Where I live, things that burn 1 quart of oil every 750 miles are called "mosquito foggers".:wow:

My 03 burned maybe 1/4 of a quart in 5000 miles, that's with almost 90K miles on it. My 13 has close to 2000 miles, and the stick still shows full.

What type and viscocity of oil are you using?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger