DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Power Wagon (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=236)
-   -   2014 Power Wagon: 4.10 axle gears versus 4.56 gears (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153377)

vinoaddict 09-19-2013 12:07 PM

2014 Power Wagon: 4.10 axle gears versus 4.56 gears
 
I am considering the 2014 Power Wagon. I really liked the 2013 model, but I have heard that the 2014 Power Wagon will change from the 4.56 to the 4.10 axle gears. I have seen some negative comments regarding this change.

Can someone explain in simple terms what effect the change from the 4.56 to the 4.10 axle gears will have on the Power Wagon? Why was this change made?

Thanks

battlerattle 09-19-2013 05:03 PM

Simply, 4.10 will give you better mileage and a more normal truck like experience. 4.56 will give you greater torque (i.e. that 10k trailer wont feel like its 10k) at the expense of fuel mileage.

In all honesty, if you plan on leaving it bone stock and enjoying the capabilities it was built with 4.10 might be a great choice. If your like the rest of us and like to mod and build then the 4.56 is the way to go. I am already considering 5.13 with my next set of upgrades (might be a hint!!).

Gantman 09-19-2013 05:29 PM

I agree with battlerattle. With the 4.10's, if you don't change your tire diameter from OE/stock, then mileage could be what the 2014 PW is trying to improve a bit on. But with a 4.56, being able to move up to some 37" tires just look badass and still wont hurt the fuel mileage too bad.

shawnu 09-19-2013 06:02 PM

But wont the 14s have the 8 spd option?? The lowest gear is lower than the 6spd so it almost make up for it?? Just what i remember on the whole 8spd 3.21 vs 6spd 3.55 thread.

Lil Black 4x4 Hemi 09-20-2013 12:12 AM

Everything I've found saying they are going to 4.10s appears to be from July or earlier. I'm looking heavily at getting a '14 and the dealer is telling me he's been told they are sticking with 4.56s. Not that dealers know a WHOLE lot, but just saying there's a lot of confusion and you can't build a '14 online yet AND the dealer told me the first run wouldn't be until March they had said.

Luke

Trail Whale 09-27-2013 11:46 PM

I'd love to have the 2014's 11.5" rear axle in my 2012! (but with my leaves, not the coils) With the 2013 and earlier 10.5" rear, the lowest gearset you can go with is 4.56 versus with the 11.5" you can go with 5.13 gears! If ever go with larger than 37" tires, I will find an 11.5" out of a leafsprung (2013 and earlier Diesel) truck and swap 5.13 gears and a 2014+ Power Wagon's locker into it! (that way I get to retain my stock locker wiring and I get the stock combo of a limited slip when unlocked and locker!!!)

With the added power (especially it coming on stronger at low rpms) of the 6.4L, I really don't think the 4.10s will be much if any of a penalty (I actually think it will be better!) compared to a 5.7L with 4.56 gears. If they keep the 4.56s, so much the better!!!

battlerattle 09-30-2013 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trail Whale (Post 1209440)
I'd love to have the 2014's 11.5" rear axle in my 2012! (but with my leaves, not the coils) With the 2013 and earlier 10.5" rear, the lowest gearset you can go with is 4.56 versus with the 11.5" you can go with 5.13 gears! If ever go with larger than 37" tires, I will find an 11.5" out of a leafsprung (2013 and earlier Diesel) truck and swap 5.13 gears and a 2014+ Power Wagon's locker into it! (that way I get to retain my stock locker wiring and I get the stock combo of a limited slip when unlocked and locker!!!)

With the added power (especially it coming on stronger at low rpms) of the 6.4L, I really don't think the 4.10s will be much if any of a penalty (I actually think it will be better!) compared to a 5.7L with 4.56 gears. If they keep the 4.56s, so much the better!!!

Whoever told you the lowest the 10.5 can go with is 4.56 was smoking crack. Sure you have to shop around, but the 10.5 can do 5.13 all day.

vinoaddict 10-01-2013 11:54 AM

Thanks for all the input.

Interestingly, I noticed that the 2014 models for the 2500 HDs are available on the Ram website, but that the Power Wagons are not yet listed. Unless I am doing something wrong, at this point it is not posible to "build" a 2014 Power Wagon on the Ram website. Perhaps Ram has not yet finalized the specs?

Trail Whale 10-03-2013 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battlerattle (Post 1210883)
Whoever told you the lowest the 10.5 can go with is 4.56 was smoking crack. Sure you have to shop around, but the 10.5 can do 5.13 all day.

I've not come across any lower than 4.56, if you've found some, if you don't mind, please post a link to somewhere that carries lower.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinoaddict (Post 1211888)
Thanks for all the input.

Interestingly, I noticed that the 2014 models for the 2500 HDs are available on the Ram website, but that the Power Wagons are not yet listed. Unless I am doing something wrong, at this point it is not posible to "build" a 2014 Power Wagon on the Ram website. Perhaps Ram has not yet finalized the specs?

I'm not surprised, I bet they probably won't have it up for a while yet. It's probably just due to the Power Wagon being a lower sales volume model so it's a lower priority.

battlerattle 10-03-2013 08:30 PM

Google AAM 10.5 5.13 gears. Remember the axle is AAM not Chrysler. Most are listed as GM gears, but a good shop will know which are compatible. Sierra Gear for example makes a comparable ring and pinion.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger