DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Noise in steering wheel when turning (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153392)

robbiele 09-19-2013 03:35 PM

Noise in steering wheel when turning

Just got my 1500 and there is some noise sounding like something needs to be greased when turning? It is not anything very loud just sounds like something is rubbing or needs to be greased. Is this normal and is anybody else hearing same?

Copperhead Ram 09-19-2013 04:21 PM

I got the same thing, only when turning it counterclockwise. i might spray something in between the steering wheel components.

firemarshallvin 09-19-2013 04:46 PM

it's not the steering wheel or the components, it's the tire rubbing on the inner fender well liner. Do you both have the air suspension? This is a known issue, not always present, but there, and there has yet to be a cure found to date. Sorry. On the plus side, at least now you can sleep at night knowing that there isn't anything "wrong" with your rigs! LOL

Scott H 09-19-2013 04:57 PM

Mine does it too.

I read elsewhere on the forum that it is possibly the clock spring in the steering column. That or some of the the wires running through it were not installed properly, causing the scraping sound.

I plan to take it in to the service dept.

robbiele 09-19-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by firemarshallvin (Post 1203570)
it's not the steering wheel or the components, it's the tire rubbing on the inner fender well liner. Do you both have the air suspension? This is a known issue, not always present, but there, and there has yet to be a cure found to date. Sorry. On the plus side, at least now you can sleep at night knowing that there isn't anything "wrong" with your rigs! LOL

I don't have the air suspension and it is definitely not the tire rubbing but I do still appreciate the info

robbiele 09-19-2013 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott H (Post 1203581)
Mine does it too.

I read elsewhere on the forum that it is possibly the clock spring in the steering column. That or some of the the wires running through it were not installed properly, causing the scraping sound.

I plan to take it in to the service dept.

This sounds like it could be my problem and I will take mine to service dept. as well. Thanks

Omac 09-19-2013 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robbiele (Post 1203608)
This sounds like it could be my problem and I will take mine to service dept. as well. Thanks

Mine made the sound then the service airbag system display come on the evic after 800 miles. It was the clock spring. after it was replaced no more sound. My truck was built in June 2013 Its probably a bad batch of clock springs.

kmm316 09-19-2013 11:25 PM

Mine makes the same noise. It is certainly the clock spring as my 2009 challenger R/T had the same problem. Had the clock spring changed out and no more noise. I will be having this fixed during my next oil change.

firemarshallvin 09-20-2013 08:58 AM

Sorry, I tried... good luck with the journey to the dealer.

MACH 09-26-2013 01:28 PM

I had the same thing on my 2013 Laramie. Sounded like a clicking noise when I turned the wheel.

They replaced the clock spring and I haven't had a problem since.