DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   tranny cooling design flaw..My fix... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153620)

rraulston 09-22-2013 02:49 PM

tranny cooling design flaw..My fix...

2 Attachment(s)
As I was checking out my truck, I noticed the tranny cooler lines were routed an inch or so in proximity from the Cat. Cats, when I tow, will get hotter than heck. Here is my cheap mod I did to keep the radiant heat away from the cooler lines:

gonefishin776 09-22-2013 03:20 PM

good stuff and good post!!!

I'm sure others will find this useful

Irv 09-22-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rraulston (Post 1205717)
As I was checking out my truck, I noticed the tranny cooler lines were routed an inch or so in proximity from the Cat. Cats, when I tow, will get hotter than heck. Here is my cheap mod I did to keep the radiant heat away from the cooler lines:

So far so good with my tranny temps but I may do something similar or use some heat reflective tape just in case it does get hotter than normal sometime?

Thanks for the info and tip. :smileup:

Pckrfan 09-22-2013 06:52 PM

If the truck is moving wouldn't the air keep the lines cool anyway? I can see it if the truck is idle for a long period of time though.

CdnoilRAM 09-22-2013 09:23 PM

The radiant heat would be pretty high that close to the cat. I would go even further and put some header wrap around the line.

Grubrunner 09-22-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pckrfan (Post 1205854)
If the truck is moving wouldn't the air keep the lines cool anyway? I can see it if the truck is idle for a long period of time though.

My thoughts precisely.

ValleyRacer 09-23-2013 12:15 AM

Can't hurt anything anyway

Be sure and share what material, part#, length, brand etc - you end up using for "no brainer" efforts for other forum members.
This is a good inexpensive mod.

Whiplash 09-23-2013 07:45 AM

this stuff looks more than up to the task :) not free but ya could do a ton of other stuff as well on your truck

http://www.autoanything.com/exhausts...ermaflect-tape

Grubrunner 09-23-2013 08:17 AM

The thing is this: it's not an area where hot radiant heat can get trapped for any prolonged periods because of the open space in and around the vicinity. While the vehicle's in motion, it's a non-issue. With the vehicle parked at idle, some heat may build up but will dissipate quickly because of no void spaces.

What the OP did will do nothing but be advantageous for the goals seeked but whether it's worth the time and money spent is, well, a matter of opinion..... and mine probably doesn't matter right about now.

Kudos for the originality on the task at hand though.

rraulston 09-23-2013 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
All of you have good points. If the vehicle were in motion, I agree, its way less of an issue. I do believe if the Cats were 1100 degrees and the space was say 1-2 inches, you would still feel radiant heat while in motion. No where near as much as the vehicle NOT being in motion. No, the heat isn't being trapped, but its still radiates. If I even saved 5 degrees, it was a free fix because I had the "cool tube" laying around from my race car. Another thing I did is put the cool tube on my exposed air conditioner tubes. If you notice under your hood, they run right behind the cooling fan/radiator. Why would we want the heat under the hood warming those lines?? Well I covered them too and my AC is ice cold. I can honestly say I'm not sure how much of a difference it made, but can it hurt?? Here in Arizona, the heat can be brutal......And the last heat related mod I did was to get the standard black honeycomb grill. This grill flows air straight through. My sport grill was designed different and I don't see how it could flow as much due to the angle of the fins. The next heat related mod I will be doing will be an engine oil cooler. I am a few months out, but when you see this pic, you will understand. (study it close) I was towing a few hundred less than 7K in an enclosed car hauler with heavy winds. Other than burning a full tank in less than 100 miles, I had no issues. :4-looney: