DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   Decreased MPG with new K&N filter (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153666)

Zimfairy 09-23-2013 12:43 AM

Decreased MPG with new K&N filter

Just installed a K&N 63 Series AirCharger High-Flow Intake into my Ram 1500 Hemi V8 and it seems like my Mpg has gone down instead of up - most reviews said they gained 2mpg.
Anyone experiences this?

Swampmoose 09-23-2013 03:20 AM

I have the same intake and I gained a couple after the install. Granted I love the sound so I have to keep my foot out of it to actually maintain the higher mpg :doh:

Asur 09-23-2013 08:45 AM

Agree, might just be a foot issue and not a intake issue, your probably not going to see any gains, as indicated in a ton of threads about this, the factory air box is already a CAI pulling its air from the fender area, also, its very efficient, the Ram Engine needs everything it can get to produce that much horsepower and try to have a decent MPG rating. That being said, you might just be getting the "I love that sound" syndrome and when you get back to your normal foot functions you will get back to the normal MPG you had.

Gantman 09-23-2013 08:59 AM

I also agree in that most times the foot enjoys the new rumble under the hood and just can't lay off the throttle. Hahaha! But do understand that your truck has to adjust its parameters to the new aftermarket part so give it time and record your findings as in time, you will see a little gain down the road.

RPM666 09-23-2013 10:16 AM

My intake plus a chip I bought off ebay gave me +45HP AND 35+ MPG's!

It's an intake. You did not get any noticeable gains and your mileage went down cause you keep putting your foot in the gas pedal to hear the new fun noise it makes.

picker 09-23-2013 03:15 PM

Something else to look at......what goes in must come out. Slide under your truck and look at that stock muffler, BIG purple and blue hot spot in middle? I know dual express trucks have way to much back pressure, get rid of that stock muffler you'll be amazed how much better it runs we changed both our trucks gained a little over three MPG even service MGR in local dealership swapped his after driving this. Engine is basically a air pump, intake is the funnel putting more in won't help if it can't get out the back.

Red-Stripe 09-23-2013 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zimfairy (Post 1206056)
Just installed a K&N 63 Series AirCharger High-Flow Intake into my Ram 1500 Hemi V8 and it seems like my Mpg has gone down instead of up - most reviews said they gained 2mpg.
Anyone experiences this?

Not surprised at all. MPG is achieved at 1,200-1,800 rpm's. At those RPM's the stock system is oversized and there is NO restriction with a clean filter. Then factor in when it drops to 4 cylinders at those Rpm's and you have less air flow than a squirrel fart.

oldhp 09-23-2013 09:52 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^+1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
...and that BIG HUGE INSIDE VOLUME MUFFLER......is no restriction either.........

roo 09-23-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red-Stripe (Post 1206403)
Not surprised at all. MPG is achieved at 1,200-1,800 rpm's. At those RPM's the stock system is oversized and there is NO restriction with a clean filter. Then factor in when it drops to 4 cylinders at those Rpm's and you have less air flow than a squirrel fart.

Do you really have less air flow, part of the gains from switching from 8 to 4 is to lower pumping losses by opening the throttle up plate further. I do agree that the stock setup has more than enough flow for part throttle operation and more than likely WOT operation also. The RAM air box is pretty nice as is.

Red-Stripe 09-24-2013 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roo (Post 1206615)
Do you really have less air flow, part of the gains from switching from 8 to 4 is to lower pumping losses by opening the throttle up plate further. I do agree that the stock setup has more than enough flow for part throttle operation and more than likely WOT operation also. The RAM air box is pretty nice as is.

The reduction in overall air mass flowing will be proportionate to the increase in efficiency, since the computer maintains the fuel/air ratio. If the MDS increase your mileage ( if ), then you have consumed less gas and air.
The small technical negative that offsets this regarding an intake/filter is that when in MDS mode the slightly reduced air mass is now required to be drawn in by 4 widely spaced pulses of air mass acceleration/deceleration instead of a closely spaced 8 vacuum event which normally gives a smother slower overall airflow.