DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Heating & Cooling (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=177)
-   -   Heat/No Heat/Heat/No Heat... grrrrr (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153702)

apensity 09-23-2013 12:31 PM

Heat/No Heat/Heat/No Heat... grrrrr

So sometimes my '01 1500 318 will blow hot through dash, then get cold, then get hot again, then cold... I can hear gurgling behind the dash quite often, but not necessarily when temperature of air changes coming through vents. Also, my temp gauge goes up quickly to like 3/4 (even when it is like 50 degrees out) and then it will drop to less than 1/2 in a matter of a few seconds, then the hot air comes out of the vents. Totally confused here. Have checked MANY posts, but none describe this issue that I have seen, so sorry if it is a duplicate.

:4-dontknow:

Nemmisis1 09-23-2013 08:11 PM

It's your tstat... Sounds like it get stuck and when your engine ges hot it builds pressure (higher) and blows open the stuck thermostat.. Replace it or open it up to inspect it.. Maybe corroded if dirty flush your whole system out

eight-bit 09-23-2013 08:53 PM

Heater core.

They leak, let air into the system, causes gurgling noise. The noise seems to come from right against the firewall, slightly to the passenger side, right?

Notice your windshield fogged up from the inside in the mornings?

Massive fluctuations on the temp gauge are caused by the air in the system from the leaking heater core.

Source: went through the exact same thing with my '00 Dakota.

Stump3r 09-23-2013 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nemmisis1 (Post 1206538)
It's your tstat... Sounds like it get stuck and when your engine ges hot it builds pressure (higher) and blows open the stuck thermostat.. Replace it or open it up to inspect it.. Maybe corroded if dirty flush your whole system out

Quote:

Originally Posted by eight-bit (Post 1206568)
Heater core.

They leak, let air into the system, causes gurgling noise. The noise seems to come from right against the firewall, slightly to the passenger side, right?

Notice your windshield fogged up from the inside in the mornings?

Massive fluctuations on the temp gauge are caused by the air in the system from the leaking heater core.

Source: went through the exact same thing with my '00 Dakota.

Both of these!!!! I'd do both being as you have to dump all your coolant to do the heater core anyway.

melon8657 09-30-2013 03:22 PM

just saw this thread so not sure if you have the problem fixed.

I had the same problem on my '97 Ram w/360 when I bought it last November. Replaced t-stat, and heater core but still had the problem. Took the water pump off to look at it and the vanes on the pump were gone, so when I was stopped the engine temp would heat up but going down the road the temp would drop.

Wh1t3nukle 10-02-2013 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apensity (Post 1206246)
So sometimes my '01 1500 318 will blow hot through dash, then get cold, then get hot again, then cold... I can hear gurgling behind the dash quite often, but not necessarily when temperature of air changes coming through vents. Also, my temp gauge goes up quickly to like 3/4 (even when it is like 50 degrees out) and then it will drop to less than 1/2 in a matter of a few seconds, then the hot air comes out of the vents. Totally confused here. Have checked MANY posts, but none describe this issue that I have seen, so sorry if it is a duplicate.

:4-dontknow:

Yup, it has nothing to do with the tstat.

if you don't have any leaking fluid on the passenger side floor, then the heater core remains intact so far.

What you have is a combination of or separately a thing called "wild vents" or the "Heater blend" door is broke. These are both vacuum related.

Do a search for "wild vents". For this one, you may just have a broke vacuum line. Easy places to check first is passenger side of the engine. Find a vac line coming out of firewall. Is it intact? Follow it to the intake manifold as you'll find more lines, 1 going down behind the engine and 1 going back over to the under the battery. Are they intact? Is there a larger union of these lines connected to the intake manifold on the passenger side? Another place is getting on the ground and looking at your front axle, assuming this is 4x4. There are 2 lines that connect to the passenger side of the axle tube. Again if 4x4, look at the passenger frame rail above the axle to find hard lines that take those same vacuum lines to the tcase. Are the intact?

For heater blend door, this is responsible for mixing the hot/cold air. The unit is located under/behind the glove box. The door resides on a pivot made of awesome plastic and this thing degrades/breaks. A little actuator motor rotates it when you adjust the temperature rheostat on the dash. Search "Heater Treater" for a cheap fix. Search YouTube for videos on how to replace it. :smileup:

RogerRamJet 10-02-2013 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wh1t3nukle (Post 1212775)
Yup, it has nothing to do with the tstat.

if you don't have any leaking fluid on the passenger side floor, then the heater core remains intact so far.

What you have is a combination of or separately a thing called "wild vents" or the "Heater blend" door is broke. These are both vacuum related.

Do a search for "wild vents". For this one, you may just have a broke vacuum line. Easy places to check first is passenger side of the engine. Find a vac line coming out of firewall. Is it intact? Follow it to the intake manifold as you'll find more lines, 1 going down behind the engine and 1 going back over to the under the battery. Are they intact? Is there a larger union of these lines connected to the intake manifold on the passenger side? Another place is getting on the ground and looking at your front axle, assuming this is 4x4. There are 2 lines that connect to the passenger side of the axle tube. Again if 4x4, look at the passenger frame rail above the axle to find hard lines that take those same vacuum lines to the tcase. Are the intact?

For heater blend door, this is responsible for mixing the hot/cold air. The unit is located under/behind the glove box. The door resides on a pivot made of awesome plastic and this thing degrades/breaks. A little actuator motor rotates it when you adjust the temperature rheostat on the dash. Search "Heater Treater" for a cheap fix. Search YouTube for videos on how to replace it. :smileup:

Never heard of "wild vents". Quite an interesting phenomenon. Thanks for the education and the great post.

anothernewb 10-02-2013 09:39 AM

the blend door issue was real common on both of my old GM's. (99 and 03) the darn automatic climate control system commanded the doors to fully cycle each time it started up. Well... the problem there was that over time the gears would wear and the program couldn't compensate for the slack, so it either cranked the door over spec - stripping the gears, or paused the door, jamming the system. PITA. had mine replaced twice.

the gurgling sound indicates air or boiling in you coolant system. something there needs to be addressed. bleed the system, water pump, heater core, tstat. something is out of spec.

apensity 10-21-2013 03:18 AM

Leaking freeze plug and water pump, filled the fluid back up and it is fine. So now I just need to JB Weld the freeze plug (quick fix, hard to get to freeze plug) and replace the water pump. Should be good to go then!

RogerRamJet 10-21-2013 03:27 AM

Voonderbar! Thanks for the update. GL with the fixes. Keep us posted as to how it goes.