DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram Wheels And Tires (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Mud terrain and SNOW..) looking some feedback (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153796)

autokraftgt 09-24-2013 03:52 PM

Mud terrain and SNOW..) looking some feedback

I need new tires badly before the wintery months come. I current have 315/70/17 Kumho Road Venture AT's and they've been a great tire.
I love the look of a mud terrain but i need them to :
Be good in the snow (family truck:smileup:)
Last longer than my old Baja Claws lol
Be at or under $300/tire @ 315/70/17
ZERO howl going down the road
And look good
I remember my baja claws being a bit sketchy on snow packed roads. That level of performance "on road" is not an option these days. Just wondering if anyone has been surprised by their mud terrain tires in the snow.
Buying another set of AT's is not out of the question either... Just looking for some feedback i guess
Thanks

Kaner1000 10-10-2013 01:15 PM

this is actually something I've been looking in to also. If I end up leveling my truck and putting any sort of flares on, to put the stock rims with my Blizzaks on for the winter will not look good.....

A lot of the mud tires distinctly warn against using in the winter as the tread lugs have zero sipes that are a necessity for winter traction (packed snow, ice)

General Tire's Grabber AT2 does meet winter requirements to have the snowflake symbol - thats the only one I've come across .......
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Canadian Hemi Pride 10-10-2013 01:22 PM

Won't really find a good M/T for the snow.. I am taking my toyos off for the winter and just buying a cheap set of winters to throw on my stock rims.

burtonxrider21 10-10-2013 05:12 PM

Goodyear Duratrac tires are amazing in the snow! A little bit pricey, but they are a very good tire! You can run them all year long as well. The 315/70/17 are $406 each here in Canada, so I'm guessing that they'd be a little bit cheaper in your neck of the woods!

Grubrunner 10-10-2013 08:18 PM

Try your MT's in the snow before storing them for the winter.

Judge for yourselves.

burtonxrider21 10-11-2013 06:57 AM

I ran my Toyo OC MT's last winter and they weren't the best, but I managed to get by... If you had to stop quickly you may find yourself in trouble!

balki420 10-11-2013 07:56 PM

I'm in the market as well, with the exact same criteria as you, autokraftgt. The suggestion I've got from my local tire guys are the Goodyear Duratracs. Like burtonxryder21 said, they're a little pricey (the lowest I've found them is $360 CAD each). They seem to meet all the criteria you're looking for, and I'm told you should see 100,000KM (60,000 miles) out of them. I think I'll give them a try... Good luck!

Canadian Hemi Pride 10-15-2013 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grubrunner (Post 1218853)
Try your MT's in the snow before storing them for the winter.

Judge for yourselves.

I mainly just don't wanna wear the m/t's out in the winter when there won't be any mud to play with, and have the intense amount of salt and such ruin my rims.. Just gonna throw on a set of goodyears on my old rims and paint the rims black and call it a day.

Radak04 10-15-2013 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balki420 (Post 1219431)
I'm in the market as well, with the exact same criteria as you, autokraftgt. The suggestion I've got from my local tire guys are the Goodyear Duratracs. Like burtonxryder21 said, they're a little pricey (the lowest I've found them is $360 CAD each). They seem to meet all the criteria you're looking for, and I'm told you should see 100,000KM (60,000 miles) out of them. I think I'll give them a try... Good luck!

I have a new Ram 1500 sport with 20" rims. Wanted better tires for the winter and did the research.

Came up with Duratracs as well. I'm in Saskatchewan, Canada and they are very expensive here. I bough 18" rims and 275/70R18s from discount tire in the states. Free shipping to Canada. Even after the $60 duty they were cheaper than buying local. They were $265 ea plus duty, but no tax!

$1300 delivered to my door with a $70 Visa card as a rebate.

Installed them a few days ago. Very small hum on the road. Can't wait for snow.

Look awesome.

wmorris4x4 10-15-2013 12:57 PM

i have Cooper Zeons 305/55-20 on my truck ran them last winter with no trouble and are pretty quite, just put a set of Cooper HT Plus on wifes truck 275/60-20 replaced the Goodyears. Had a set of Nitto Trail Grapplers worked good but so damm noisey i will never get again