DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2012 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=224)
-   -   drove with e brake on (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153832)

ninja99 09-25-2013 07:28 AM

drove with e brake on

what a dumb ass I am. I picked up my boat last night from getting winterized. got out and set e brake, talked to my mechanic and hooked on, got back in truck and forgot to disengage e brake and drove off. it is a 22 ft fibreglass boat so thought it was just the weight of the boat. thank god it was only 2 concessions. got almost home and saw the red exclamation mark flashing on dash but didn't realize that was the problem till I drove into laneway and smelled the rear brakes burning. not red hot but slightly steaming. cooled them off by letting it sit outside for an hour. now the question is did I do any damage to cable or just took some life off the brakes? I can't believe I did this. 3 quarters of the drive was at about 40 miles an hour and the rest was at 50 miles an hour.

Excoastie 09-25-2013 08:22 AM

I doubt that you're the first person to do this, and I doubt that you'll be the last.

I would think that there wouldn't be any damage to the cabling. You probably reduced the life of the rear brakes significantly though. Be sure to keep an eye on them, and also you might want to get the rear rotors checked, with that much heat generated you might have warped them pretty severely.

good luck

Exco

AZRAMRT 09-25-2013 08:39 AM

I would say replace the pads and rotors anyways with that much heat is very bad for rotors and pads at least the oem stuff. And no better excuse for an upgrade right?

Asur 09-25-2013 09:21 AM

Agree with Both above posts. You prob did not damage the cable, but I would pull the rotors off and replace them with the pads (not worth having breaking issues for the price of 2 rotors, pads and some time), do a full inspection of the calipers if all is good grease them up and you should be fine.

PaulMys 09-25-2013 06:41 PM

Ouch! Yeah, like the others have said- I'd replace the rotors & pads. I don't think these RAM brakes are meant to glow red like the Nascar guys'. Good luck ninja.

12sport 09-25-2013 07:16 PM

As hot as your rear brake assemblies (probably) got, I'd consider flushing/changing fluid while you're at it.

ArmyofOne 09-25-2013 07:30 PM

The rear brakes are a Drum-in-Disc setup. Your regular brakes are disc, then inside the rotor (hub) is a small set of shoes and a drum-type setup for the parking brake.

Doubt you warped anything, you probably got it warm, just dont do it again, and change the brake shoes inside the drum if you are that worried about it.

snrusnak 09-25-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

The rear brakes are a Drum-in-Disc setup. Your regular brakes are disc, then inside the rotor (hub) is a small set of shoes and a drum-type setup for the parking brake.

Doubt you warped anything, you probably got it warm, just dont do it again, and change the brake shoes inside the drum if you are that worried about it.
^ this.

The ebrake and regular brake are two different systems. The ebrake is the only thing that will be effected, your regular brakes are fine.

GTyankee 09-25-2013 07:57 PM

e brake pads will be Glazed from the heat
i would replace them, if it were mine

not as cheap as using heavy grit sand paper on them, but ..........

Thunderhorse 09-25-2013 08:24 PM

Good advice guys! This is one reason I set my brake every time I park, even on flat surfaces when it isn't necessary: habituation.