DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   Bully Dog hook up & settings.. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153873)

0321Devildog 09-25-2013 08:11 PM

Bully Dog hook up & settings..

My Bully Dog 40430 came this evening and I will be installing tomorrow, Just wondering what suggestions you Guys could provide that may help with the install and settings that you all found that seem to work best. Any problems I might run in to also.

Thanks for the info in advance.

Devildog

brandonjansen 09-25-2013 08:16 PM

Pretty much just do what the instructions say and you'll be fine. Have you updated it to the most current software version? I believe the latest is 3.1.4.2 A019. You'll want to do that before you install.

One thing that was kind of finicky with my Bully Dog on my old truck was the tire size and speedo calibration. I was running 35" Toyo MT's which measured around 34.5" but I had to enter 33.85" into the Bully Dog in order to make my speedo correct. So if you're running stock tires I'd recommend that you leave the tire size at whatever number comes up on the tuner. Don't change it to what you think the stock tire size is.

Asur 09-25-2013 08:22 PM

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ make sure you update it before the install. Make sure you have the right octane fuel in your tank and a full one, it will take a few days of driving around for the truck to relearn your driving style, give it a chance to settle in before you decide its not working. Some say you will feel the difference right away, some say it takes days before they feel a change, Myself, right away I felt the transmission shifts are way better, but engine seems to take a few days to feel it. Also, keep in mind, most people cannot feel a 15 - 30 hp difference with there butt Dino, JMO

0321Devildog 09-25-2013 08:24 PM

Very good. Haven't even got it out of the box yet. It showed up just before I had to leave to go to work. Quick question about the updates, have read that some guys are getting knock/ping with the ??19 update and said the ??16 was the best. Can you choose wich update you want to download?

Thanks

Asur 09-25-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0321Devildog (Post 1207941)
Very good. Haven't even got it out of the box yet. It showed up just before I had to leave to go to work. Quick question about the updates, have read that some guys are getting knock/ping with the ??19 update and said the ??16 was the best. Can you choose wich update you want to download?

Thanks

go to this thread you should be able to get the 016 if you want it.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=14

I think the second link still works.

0321Devildog 09-25-2013 10:09 PM

Thanks for the info Asur

Explorer Rob 09-25-2013 11:11 PM

Has anyone tried the BullyDog on the 8-speed yet? I'm still on the fence but haven't jumped off to either side yet. Truth is, I'm mostly interested in it for the speedometer correction more than anything else. My Ram runs pretty good as it is. I figure though my choices are pretty limited for a way to correct my speedometer. It's not much more for the BullyDog than just a dedicated speedometer calibrator. Now if the BullyDog can get me better mileage that might be enough to push me over.

brandonjansen 09-25-2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asur (Post 1207979)
go to this thread you should be able to get the 016 if you want it.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=14

I think the second link still works.

That post that Asur gave the link too is in a thread on the forum full of updates for the Bully Dog. That's definitely a thread you'll want to find and subscribe to for future reference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Explorer Rob (Post 1208084)
Has anyone tried the BullyDog on the 8-speed yet? I'm still on the fence but haven't jumped off to either side yet. Truth is, I'm mostly interested in it for the speedometer correction more than anything else. My Ram runs pretty good as it is. I figure though my choices are pretty limited for a way to correct my speedometer. It's not much more for the BullyDog than just a dedicated speedometer calibrator. Now if the BullyDog can get me better mileage that might be enough to push me over.

I think there are a few guys on the forum running it on 8 speeds. Search through some of the Bully Dog threads and you'll probably find something. I haven't read about anyone having issues yet.

0321Devildog 09-26-2013 04:50 PM

Just freaking GREAT!! Got my Bully Dog installed and NO power! Have power and the end of the power cord that plugs in to the OBD box, fuse is good. Called Bully dog and they said the OBD box must be bad, sending me a new one. Anybody else have this problem?

Bully's Performance 09-26-2013 05:43 PM

Have not heard of that issue before, hopefully they get the part to you very quickly so we can hear your opinions on the tuner :).