DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Dodge Ram MPG Zone (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237)
-   -   MPG. What the best mod? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153894)

The Hemster 09-25-2013 10:13 PM

MPG. What the best mod?

So I found the setting to display my avg mileage today. With my 5.7 Hemi 4x4 that's weighed down by my Mopar 4" lift and 20 inch wheels I'm getting about 10 MPG. That's with 90% city driving. So what's the best mod to get better MPG. Catback? Or performance chip? What's the best performance chip for me? I want primarily MPG. More power is always good if it doesn't hinder MPG. I want the option to reset to factory. I'm under warranty.

TheSatinPumpkin 09-25-2013 10:19 PM

maybe some ideas in this section
http://ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=237

The Hemster 09-25-2013 11:38 PM

Thanks. Still learning to navigate
I didn't scroll far enough. Ha

The Hemster 09-26-2013 12:46 AM

Ok I read some of that and it didn't help much. I already have been babying the gas pedal. The truck has 150 miles, so I know the MPG will increase. If I want to get that extra 1-2 MPG what's the best tuner cost wise that I don't have to spend hours customizing and I can factory reset if I have to take it in for warranty.

Bully's Performance 09-26-2013 01:10 AM

Currently the best mods you can do for mileage are

tuner, CAI, hi flow exhaust system.

In regards to your question about the tuner currently the only one out for the 2013's is the Bully Dog hemi +, however DiabloSport should be releasing the tunes for the 2013's very soon as the tunes are out for the Chargers/Challengers/300's already, if it is anything like last year the tunes will be out within the next 2 months possibly a SEMA release.

With that said if you need the best pricing on anything feel free to contact us :)

ljamesf 10-15-2013 09:57 PM

You might not want to hear this, but the best way to improve MPGs is to go back to stock wheels, tires, and no lift! LOL You might gain a couple of MPGs with a tuner or intake, but the real problem is the larger tires and the loss of aerodynamics created by the lift kit. THe larger rims and tires add hundreds of extra pounds that you now have to push around. Sorry - I don't know how many times I read about people complaining about poor MPGs after they add big tires and a lift kit!

Silvercreek 10-16-2013 08:47 AM

I would think our trucks were built to perform with optimum fuel economy as they roll off of the assembly line. Changing the rear-end gear ratio is the only way I would consider.

huntergreen 10-16-2013 02:51 PM

with your mods, 10mpg with mostly city driving is pretty good. is that hand calc ? my mpg stayed pretty much the same from day 1 had 4miles on her when i picked her up. i have yet to hear of any real gains in mpg with tuners, exhausts and cai. it is what it is.

The Hemster 10-17-2013 04:21 PM

Yeah my mpg has gone up to 12.5 now. I'm at around 500 miles. It's gotten a little better. I'd like to hear from someone who has installed an exhaust or tuner and see what type of gain they have, if any. I need to weigh it out to see if a $500 tuner is gonna make a difference or not. I've heard a lot of chatter on various forums that CAIs are a waste of money. No MPG or HP gains out of those.

The Hemster 10-17-2013 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntergreen (Post 1222456)
with your mods, 10mpg with mostly city driving is pretty good. is that hand calc ? my mpg stayed pretty much the same from day 1 had 4miles on her when i picked her up. i have yet to hear of any real gains in mpg with tuners, exhausts and cai. it is what it is.

By hand calc I'm assuming you mean calculating how many miles I drove on a tank of gas? No. I'm using the EVIC. I reset it every once in a while to see how adjustments to driving affect it. I like the accelerometer. Pretty cool feature.