DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   1500-2500 swap. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153906)

southbronxems 09-26-2013 05:31 AM

1500-2500 swap.

Hi all, I dont post here often but I creep a lot. I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to swap out a 1500 suspension for a 2500 suspension. My 94 1500 has a 3" body lift with a 5" skyjacker suspension lift. I was thinking about taking off the skyjacker and installing a 2500 suspension instead. My lift has been on for about 10 years, and Im thinking of making it a bit less wild. Any thoughts or experience with a similar issue?

Thanks, Andy... :confused:

hydrex 09-26-2013 09:39 AM

Sounds like an expensive proposition. When my Ram was new, I had the dealer install an extra rear leaf and, because the 05's have torsion bars I could raise the front. Dealer put on excellent Rancho 9000 shocks. Almost 200,000 miles later, she's done more work and towed more than most 3500's and still gets decent milage. Unless you tow a heavy trailer or haul very heavy loads, do you need the extra weight and poorer gas milage? BTW, check out a 2006 hemi Mega Cab 1500, not sure how many years they made em, but check one out, either 2500 or 3500 chassis! Friend of mine has one.

Wh1t3nukle 09-26-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by southbronxems (Post 1208200)
Hi all, I dont post here often but I creep a lot. I was wondering if anyone knows if its possible to swap out a 1500 suspension for a 2500 suspension. My 94 1500 has a 3" body lift with a 5" skyjacker suspension lift. I was thinking about taking off the skyjacker and installing a 2500 suspension instead. My lift has been on for about 10 years, and Im thinking of making it a bit less wild. Any thoughts or experience with a similar issue?

Thanks, Andy... :confused:

Yes, this is a common swap. There are some particular differences 98 and newer, iirc. This is in the realm of control arm bolts and speed sensor that I recall. The top thing to work out though is for the rear leaf springs. half ton leafs are 2.5" wide while heavy duty trucks are 3". So your option there can be:

1. Cut perches off the rear axle, which would be a D60 or D70, and put new ones on for 2.5" leaf springs that you currently have.
2. Replace spring hangers on your half ton with those from 3/4 or 1 ton truck for the 3" springs and bolt up the axle.

New wheels would be needed, 8 lugs. If the axle you find are in pretty decent shape, then you may not have to dig into them to replace things. This can potentially be alot, however, your area and searching can get decent prices hub-to-hub, maybe $200-$500 axle. Most ppl do this swap for the added strength, aftermarket support, and ability to use them in offroad abuse. Goes back to how/why you want to use them. Who cares about the cost. :smileup: