DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179)
-   -   Steering Disaster (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=154252)

walightner 09-29-2013 09:49 PM

Steering Disaster

Ok, guys. I have a problem. My ram is lifted on 38s and I currently run stock steering gear/ pump. The problem is that my steering wheel will just freely spin with no feed back at the tires (very dangerous). This normally takes place between 20 mph and up. It has, however done it at lower speeds. When I originally did all the work on the truck, I put an AGR gear on it and it held up for a few months and then started do the "death slip". Due to lack of funds, I replaced it with a stock unit and it started slipping within the first 100 miles of its use. Could this be a pump issue or do I have to hunt down a better steering gear? Any help is appreciated!

1stRAM2012 09-30-2013 12:38 PM

I would say its the gear...dont know what's causeing it to continue to fail though. Maybe needs a heavier duty gear. With a total of 10 in of lift what all did you change on your steering linkage.

Deereman39 10-01-2013 11:53 PM

Steering wonder

Has anyone used one of these steering gear brackets I see on line? If so did it help?
Thanks Ed:thk:

Wh1t3nukle 10-02-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walightner (Post 1210673)
Ok, guys. I have a problem. My ram is lifted on 38s and I currently run stock steering gear/ pump. The problem is that my steering wheel will just freely spin with no feed back at the tires (very dangerous). This normally takes place between 20 mph and up. It has, however done it at lower speeds. When I originally did all the work on the truck, I put an AGR gear on it and it held up for a few months and then started do the "death slip". Due to lack of funds, I replaced it with a stock unit and it started slipping within the first 100 miles of its use. Could this be a pump issue or do I have to hunt down a better steering gear? Any help is appreciated!

Steering gear box can handle those tires for just street driving. You got an AGR gear box and did you talk to them? Warranty etc.?

What have you done with the power steering pump?

Bleeding the system can be a little bit of a tedious effort and recommended to be done with 2 people.

This reads more like a pump issue and assumes the rest of your steering is intact such as tie rod ends, adjusters, steering shaft, etc.

Can you put the front axle on jack stands and report what happens when turning lock to lock about 40 times? Look at the PS fluid level in the pump....

jabba974 10-12-2013 03:51 AM

Funny as it sounds...replace your power steering lines... and add a good quality steering stabilizer...

09HemiCrew 10-12-2013 08:29 AM

Wow sounds like that would give you some dirty underwear... I would think this is a mechanical part failure not in the hydraulics. But, maybe I don't understand correctly.

Howells 10-13-2013 02:46 PM

It's hard to figure out what's going since you said it comes and goes sort of. If you had and problem with the pump or hydraulic system failure you would have no assist causing very hard steering at slow speeds. Also have also seen you will only get assist in one direction. Sounds more mechanical to me check your pitman arm. Is it installed properly and all the way possible loose or striped splines on the output shaft. Just my 2 cents. Def something wrong. Wish I could check it out and see.

R Pope 10-29-2013 08:29 AM

DO NOT drive that truck until you find what is stripped! It has nothing to do with the hydraulics, it is a mechanical defect that will kill you and whoever you run over or in to.