DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Cummins Diesel Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=174)
-   -   2001 Dodge Cummins (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=154562)

Maine-Ram 10-02-2013 05:14 AM

2001 Dodge Cummins

So here is the wrap. I have the opportunity to trade my 2002 dodge ram half ton, for a 2001 24v cummins.

Here's the catch. The cummins will not stay running. According to the owner, some kid, when he parked it 5 months ago, the truck ran beautiful. It has 135k miles. He has slowly been working on it over the past 5 months, but now it will not stay running. He says it gets fuel, and will start but won't stay idleing and stalls out. Claims the fuel filters are new. Instantly I thought electrical. Am I right to assume that?

I am hoping this can be a quick fix, and I could finally get myself an older cummins like I've always wanted. Issue is, the truck is all the way across state, and before I travel that distance, I wanna know whether I got myself an easy fix or a potential nightmare. What is your opinion on the matter? What sort of things should I be wary of? Could it be the ECM? Or any specific censors that could be causing this problem?

Wh1t3nukle 10-02-2013 09:05 AM

Being across state and the risk, I'd call around that local place for a mechanic. Discuss with them the "symptoms", which of course is filtered by the seller. Consider paying for a mechanic to troubleshoot for 2 hours. This time would include travel time. It would help minimize risk.

That is one option. The other option is offer a price, again at risk, taking into account a non-running truck. The difference in price is approximating the effort in fixing it.

Another option is to tell the kid to get it fixed an you'll talk more.

Too many variables here from what you're tossing, I think. You gotta get your hands/eyes on it.

Maine-Ram 10-02-2013 11:25 AM

yeah ive considered sending a mechanic. Im just curious if someone out there knows something, like if theres the possibility this could be an easy, quick fix, or turn into a disaster. Could it be something as simple as like a crank sensor?

Cheatham 12-31-2013 04:53 PM

could be a few simple things, you can do a 3 key on and off and it will give you a code, could be the lift pump which are ez and need to be upgraded, factory calls for 10psi but for proper vp44 longevitiy 14-18psi is preferred, could be a loose filter or fuel fitting leaking, needs to have 2 good batteries and alternater, get an digital volt meter and check for AC voltage has to be less than .1ac or your going to have issuses with tranny and other electronics, also check every ground wire on body battery and there is a gray ground above the alternater that needs to be properly soldered and reground, also go to cummins forum and theres lots of good info there, check for exsseive blow by