DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203)
-   -   Anyone encounter ram drifting at 60+ mph (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=154792)

Kindanocturnal 10-03-2013 10:16 PM

Anyone encounter ram drifting at 60+ mph

I have a 2010 dodge ram that started pulling into any rut in the road especially at speeds over 60+mph. Alignment is fine, tires have less then 12000 miles.

CdnoilRAM 10-03-2013 10:36 PM

By your description it's a road condition issue, not your truck. If it's pulling into a rut, which are very common on well used pavement, then it's not the truck's issue.

However, if your tie rods are worn it may have a bit more give in the steering knuckle, which will move the front a round a bit more without steering rack input.

The tires may be low mileage, but they may be wearing unevenly, have you looked for cupping or uneven wear?

Kindanocturnal 10-04-2013 05:00 AM

Owe it is definitely a truck issue, i am the original owner and am at about 46,000 miles. It will do this on any road. When I say rut in the road I mean the hi-low points within a lane or when you change lanes.

I originally noticed a week or so after rotating my tires, I figured I had waited too long to rotate and the had got conditioned (front vs rear). I put up with it for about 2000 miles then switched back. Problem remains and seems to be getting worse. Tires are very even wear and do not have any cupping. The alignment was done when I got my new tires a little over a year ago and I do not run off road and have not hit anything.

I run airbags in the back for when I tow and have a leveling kit with 2 1/2" blocks in the rear.

I do not have any play in the steering and it almost feels like it might be coming from the rear?

Kindanocturnal 10-04-2013 05:05 AM

Not sure if related but, I crawled under it yesterday and my rear coils springs look like they have a bend to them. I jacked it up, pulled the wheel and dropped the rear end down. Both compressed and expanded, there appears to be a bend toward the back in the bottom 1/3 of the spring which I do not recall being there when I raised it 2 years ago.

Kindanocturnal 10-04-2013 05:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Does this look normal to you?

Excoastie 10-04-2013 07:52 AM

I'm no mechanic, but no, that does not look normal to me.

I'd have the truck checked out by someone who knows what they're looking at.

good luck and keep us updated

Exco

Asur 10-04-2013 08:50 AM

Not normal, the spring cannot compress properly in this position, how does your drive shaft to the diff look?

Kindanocturnal 10-04-2013 04:27 PM

I am at Les Schwab now putting it on an alignment rack & I have an appointment at the dealer on Monday. The dealer says that they have never heard of rear springs bending.

The good news is if it is the springs makes it an easier seller to do the 6" lift. The bad news is, I am not sure what would cause it other then maybe the the block changing the pressure point on the spring and the bags not letting them compress down forcing it to squirt sideways. I typically only put about 25-30 psi in the bags when I pump them up.

Kindanocturnal 10-05-2013 03:53 PM

Well Les Schwab says that the springs aren't bent, that there is always a slight rotation in the rear end which can change the pitch that the spring intersects. Being that they are not Dodge dealers he does not know if this is within the "normal" perimeters. I also have a worn left upper ball joint which he says will not cause my problem. The tires and alignment are all good.

I have wait to see what the dealer says on Monday.

CdnoilRAM 10-05-2013 05:53 PM

Seeing that spring makes me wonder the state of your panhard bar. If it's bent or the bushings are worn out then it would allow lateral movement of the rear axle and this would account for the feeling of the back end shifting around that you are wondering about.

Can you snap some pictures of your panhard bar? It's the one right across the rear diff above the sway bar.