DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Washing & Waxing (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   How often do y'all wax? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=155233)

Thunderhorse 10-08-2013 09:20 PM

How often do y'all wax?

I asked my dad if he'd help me wax my Ram tomorrow and he replied that since I did it in August, tomorrow would be sooner than I need to. I told him that nobody "needs" to wax their truck, but you do it because its good for the paint and it will last longer. Also, I'm taking a trip on Thursday and the bugs and road crap come off a freshly waxed truck so much easier than one that isn't. FWIW he likes to do his every 6 months. I was just curious to see how often most people put a fresh coat on their trucks.

msorbara10 10-08-2013 09:31 PM

I would do it every other week. And when I am ready to wax it I like to make sure there is not rain in the forecast with in the next few days otherwise I will wait. I always like keeping my truck looking good

Hermes1 10-08-2013 10:34 PM

About every 3 to 4 months for me.

CdnoilRAM 10-08-2013 10:55 PM

I'll do it every 2 months or so on the truck, but I also lay 3-4 layers down at once. The wife's car gets 2 coats every 6 months

spoiler 10-08-2013 10:59 PM

depends on the wax... some lasts 6 weeks- others 6 months... I try all types and brands and follow the manufactures suggestions.

TruckLife 10-08-2013 11:05 PM

well... that seems to be a personal question...
Just kidding...
I usually do it once a year. Somewhere in the mid spring. I wash my truck weekly, and use the mr. clean "cheater wax" once a month, but I wouldn't really call that waxing... I will completely strip, wash and wax my truck (all day affair) yearly though...

scottishtornado 10-09-2013 12:04 AM

If you want the best winter protection I would wash it down with dish soap to take off all the old wax, polish it with a good quality polish like sonax using a dual action polisher. I would then put on a good layer of paint sealant to protect the paint. Carnuba wax is awesome if you want the paint to pop but does not last long, maybe 6-8 weeks depending on washing and outside temps. If you use a synthetic wax it may last longer.Good rule of thumb is paint sealant every 2-3 months and wax every 2-3 weeks. Your truck will always look its best with maximum protection.

Mac

Thunderhorse 10-09-2013 11:46 AM

Thanks guys, y'all are teaching me some things. Reps for all.

CaptDuff 10-09-2013 11:55 AM

Wash and wax twice a year, fall and spring. And lots of small washes in between, darn blue truck likes to get dirty.

Pull Ya 10-09-2013 02:32 PM

Usually a good sealant will last you about 6 months(Wolfgang 3.0). A good wax(Collinite 845) will last about 2 months. I use sealant about every 3 months and top it with Collinite 845. I use Opti Spray Wax everytime I wash the truck which is at least once a week. You are right about bugs and crap coming off your paint a lot easier after you have a good coat of wax on your truck.
Jay