DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Cigarette lighter power? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=155615)

deep cherry 10-13-2013 11:25 PM

Cigarette lighter power?

I went out today to charge up my cell and to my disbelief ,there is no power unless the key is on or acc position? My 2002 had live power to the plug in,s.So they are useless unless key is on!!! Are they protecting us from ourselves? I think this flat out sucks! Don :smiledown::smiledown:

CdnoilRAM 10-13-2013 11:31 PM

The cigarette lighters have always been ignition-on with the time-off delay. My 07 had a 12V constant outlet as well, but that was removed in '09 for the 120V ignition-on outlet option. That plug was not the cigarette lighter though.

Bighorn453 10-14-2013 04:26 AM

Slightly off-topic (but cigarette lighter related):

Does anyone know if tapping the power from the cigarette lighter to turn on a mobile or cb radio with ignition will throw off the electronics system since it's all can-bus?

Or is it not an issue?

I know if you install HID lights they have to have an extra can-bus relay...

Monster5601 10-14-2013 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deep cherry (Post 1220605)
I went out today to charge up my cell and to my disbelief ,there is no power unless the key is on or acc position? My 2002 had live power to the plug in,s.So they are useless unless key is on!!! Are they protecting us from ourselves? I think this flat out sucks! Don :smiledown::smiledown:

If you notice, the power outlets have a key on their cover, this indicates that the ignition must be on or accessory for them to have power. If you take a trip in your owners' manual, you will discover that you can change the rear power outlet to be powered all the time.

Take a look at this post, nice picture to help you locate the fuse position.

http://www.ramforumz.com/showpost.ph...2&postcount=22

deep cherry 10-14-2013 10:07 AM

fuse

Monster 5601 You made my day!!! Thanks for link.

flyersfan2788 10-14-2013 10:09 AM

I have 3 cigarette lighter spots, two on the lower dash, and one inside the flip-up centre console. The lower left one on the dash, and the one inside the console are acc/on ones, but the one on the lower left of the dash is a constant.

I have the basic ST (up in here in Canada), the Tradesman in the US.

I believe as you go up the trims levels, the lighter adapters get replaced, I am pretty sure where my adapter in the console is, is replaced with the SD card slot.

Asur 10-14-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1220613)
The cigarette lighters have always been ignition-on with the time-off delay. My 07 had a 12V constant outlet as well, but that was removed in '09 for the 120V ignition-on outlet option. That plug was not the cigarette lighter though.

Actually my 2012 has both on the front console, the left one is key'ed and the right one is constant. They are not cigarette lighters but regular 12 volt sockets.

Whiplash 10-17-2013 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bighorn453 (Post 1220685)
Slightly off-topic (but cigarette lighter related):

Does anyone know if tapping the power from the cigarette lighter to turn on a mobile or cb radio with ignition will throw off the electronics system since it's all can-bus?

Or is it not an issue?

I know if you install HID lights they have to have an extra can-bus relay...

i've tapped mine for the gps...
running a cb tho i'd prob use a relay, they suck a lot more juice than a little ol' garmin :)

GTyankee 10-17-2013 08:27 PM

My CB is powered directly from the battery & then into a store bought fuse block that was fastened to the firewall, then it goes to the CB.
The fuse block has 4 places for fuses, my CB, orange rotating lights, & auxilliary fuel tank pump are routed through it
the CB is powered directly, the other 2 are controlled by lighted rocker switches