DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.9L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Automatic transmission problems (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=155933)

86Tanner 10-17-2013 04:29 AM

Automatic transmission problems

I have a '97 ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 v8.

truck has a 4" lift, power programmer, exhaust and intake. other than that its pretty stock.

The other day I was towing an empty trailer and on the free way and heard some banging noises. I pulled over to check things out, no popped tires, leaking fluid etc. so i got back in the truck to continue driving. started the engine just fine, when i went to accelerate, the truck started moving but as soon as i gave a little bit of gas the truck jerked to a halt and stalled the engine. i was able to get the truck to a parking lot off a free way exit by giving the truck nearly no throttle input and driving down the shoulder. In the parking lot i plugged in my power programmer to scan codes.

These are the codes I got

-PO441
-PO748
-PO753
-PO743

I then programed my ECU back to stock but it didn't make a difference. I ended up driving the truck home nearly idling the whole way. On the way home sometimes it felt like the transmission would fall into neutral, and make a quite but fast clacking noise. funny thing is when i was parking the trailer at my house i put the truck into 4x4 because of mud, and the problem seemed to go away. By the way I tried driving the truck with the trailer detached in the parking lot off the free way, but reducing the load on the truck didn't make any difference.

Any ideas where i should start with trying to fix this?

I'm new to trucks and auto transmissions as well, but Im good with mechanical work, I come from old RWD toyotas.

I could start diagnostics on my own but i figured i might be able to save myself some time an headache with your guys input.

Thank you very much!

Tanner

richmond 10-17-2013 06:35 AM

I'm no tranny guy............but codes I dug up - P0743 is Torque converter clutch solenoid, P0753 - 3rd/4th shift solenoids, P0748 pressure solenoid control, and P0441 evap purge flow monitor. Is it correct, better cross check it.

You should see if ramvan2500 can help with your problem (he's an auto tranny guy). He can lead you in the right direction I believe. R...

86Tanner 10-17-2013 02:13 PM

could someone please PM ramvan2500 and ask him to check this thread out? I havent made enough posts to send a PM yet...

Thank you!

-Tanner

richmond 10-17-2013 11:28 PM

Don't know ramvan2500, but seems like a nice guy. Could be limp mode and PCM (maybe even minor connection prob). R...

If you go to Cummins section and find ramvan2500 click on him, you can ask him a question on your gasser (even with just a few posts I think).

ramvan2500 11-01-2013 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 86Tanner (Post 1223005)
I have a '97 ram 1500 4x4 with a 5.9 v8.

truck has a 4" lift, power programmer, exhaust and intake. other than that its pretty stock.

The other day I was towing an empty trailer and on the free way and heard some banging noises. I pulled over to check things out, no popped tires, leaking fluid etc. so i got back in the truck to continue driving. started the engine just fine, when i went to accelerate, the truck started moving but as soon as i gave a little bit of gas the truck jerked to a halt and stalled the engine. i was able to get the truck to a parking lot off a free way exit by giving the truck nearly no throttle input and driving down the shoulder. In the parking lot i plugged in my power programmer to scan codes.

These are the codes I got

-PO441
-PO748
-PO753
-PO743

I then programed my ECU back to stock but it didn't make a difference. I ended up driving the truck home nearly idling the whole way. On the way home sometimes it felt like the transmission would fall into neutral, and make a quite but fast clacking noise. funny thing is when i was parking the trailer at my house i put the truck into 4x4 because of mud, and the problem seemed to go away. By the way I tried driving the truck with the trailer detached in the parking lot off the free way, but reducing the load on the truck didn't make any difference.

Any ideas where i should start with trying to fix this?

I'm new to trucks and auto transmissions as well, but Im good with mechanical work, I come from old RWD toyotas.

I could start diagnostics on my own but i figured i might be able to save myself some time an headache with your guys input.

Thank you very much!

Tanner

Hmm, the troubles you are having seem so damn familiar to me... I once was driving my truck, unloaded, then it shook and made some popping noises... Pulled similar code but from onboard DRB. Before you jump to transmission check fuel pressure, make sure you are running 43.5psi. Just stay out of the mid 30's range. Otherwise you will have popping and a lack of power feeling, just like it is in neutral. Hell, that is actually how it felt up until the point it stalled.

If you check pressure and it is fine contact me back (I will PM you my email, I am in engineering school, so I can barely find time to get onto the forum.) You email me and I will jump onto the forum, if I can, and help you as best as I can with figuring out what the problem is and how to rectify it.

ramvan2500 11-01-2013 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richmond (Post 1223011)
I'm no tranny guy............but codes I dug up - P0743 is Torque converter clutch solenoid, P0753 - 3rd/4th shift solenoids, P0748 pressure solenoid control, and P0441 evap purge flow monitor. Is it correct, better cross check it.

You should see if ramvan2500 can help with your problem (he's an auto tranny guy). He can lead you in the right direction I believe. R...

I'm going to be moving into manual transmissions really soon! Mostly Tremec!