DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2014 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=247)
-   -   Power Fold Mirrors (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=155960)

Rusty289 10-17-2013 02:17 PM

Power Fold Mirrors

Hey folks, just took delivery of my new 2014 CC Sport yesterday only issue was we added the trailer tow group which came with the "Big" mirrors, dealer has offered to swap them if I want to and I'm still trying to decide what to do. The trailer mirrors are nice for towing but way too damn big the rest of the year! :LOL:

Also I don't think the trailer mirrors are auto dimming where the stock ones on a Sport are... I think...

Anyway, dealer tells me that if they swap them the power fold option won't work, I'm pretty sure I saw a thread about this somewhere in the 2013 forums

Has anyone done a swap on a 2014? Is there any way to make the power fold work? They say they don't think its wired for it, I wanna call BS as I can't see them wiring just those trucks different than the rest. There is however no fold futton in my truck, my thought was to swap out the door controls along with the mirrors then I would think they'd work. I can't imagine there being another power supply for just the fold option, seems simple but what the hell do I know! Lol

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.....

ElectricalTech 10-17-2013 03:46 PM

I agree with you re: the wiring. It's probably there, but without the button simply won't work. So in addition to the mirror swap you'd also need a control swap as well.

skytop 10-17-2013 08:26 PM

I am now considering changing out my tow mirrors because they create so much high noise wind turbulence. The tow mirrors are fully manual with no autdimming: They rotate inwards for clearance and also revolve 90 degrees to a vertical configuration. Great for towing but nothing else.

TJC.geotech 10-17-2013 08:30 PM

They also result in a pretty serious blind spot on the passenger side, as the convex mirror is optimized for the vertical position. Not very useful for the horizontal mode.

Mine are auto dimming btw.

Rusty289 10-18-2013 07:14 AM

I'm leaning towards changing them, going to have to guide them a little bit I think and get them on board with the extra effort it will require to change out the controls along with the mirrors.

rrgmrg 10-18-2013 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJC.geotech (Post 1223529)
They also result in a pretty serious blind spot on the passenger side, as the convex mirror is optimized for the vertical position. Not very useful for the horizontal mode.

Mine are auto dimming btw.

Those huge mirrors with built-in convex have a blind spot?! That is very disappointing.

bstc00 10-18-2013 11:16 AM

I'm not sure what he is talking about a blinds spot. I have had my tow mirrors on the truck since I bought he truck and don't have a blind spot

TJC.geotech 10-18-2013 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bstc00 (Post 1224013)
I'm not sure what he is talking about a blinds spot. I have had my tow mirrors on the truck since I bought he truck and don't have a blind spot

I have a 2014. The convex is in two planes instead of four. When the mirrors are folded, you have great views of the sky and the ground, but very little beside you.