DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   4.7L (287 cu in) PowerTech V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Ram accelerated by itself (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=155974)

Tridler 10-17-2013 04:47 PM

Ram accelerated by itself

Weird problem 2 days ago. Exiting hwy slowed down to about 80 km an hour and out of no where the truck started accelerating on it's own. Gas pedal went to the floor and I was doing upwards of 130 km an hour. A warning chime went off and there was a light beside the speedometers that was two red bars with a red listening bolt in the middle.

I had two feet on the brake trying to slow down and the truck kept accelerating and brakes started smoking . Started gearing down to try and slow the engine, it worked to slow us down but the gas pedal was still to the floor and rpms high. After 5 minutes of insanity it went back to normal and the warning light turned off and drive fine.

I don't use cruise control and it wasn't on at the time. Nothing was pushing the pedal down in the truck I felt it disappear under my foot. I had been driving for about 45 minutes prior, dry roads, maybe 15 degrees Celsius outside..

It's at dodge they have no idea what it could possibly be. Anyone have anything similar happen and figure out the issue? Makes me a bit nervous to drive in the city not knowing that the issue is.

Tridler 10-17-2013 04:51 PM

Sorry about the auto correct. That should day lightening bolt not listening beside the speedometer.

Asur 10-17-2013 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridler (Post 1223406)
Weird problem 2 days ago. Exiting hwy slowed down to about 80 km an hour and out of no where the truck started accelerating on it's own. Gas pedal went to the floor and I was doing upwards of 130 km an hour. A warning chime went off and there was a light beside the speedometers that was two red bars with a red listening bolt in the middle.

I had two feet on the brake trying to slow down and the truck kept accelerating and brakes started smoking . Started gearing down to try and slow the engine, it worked to slow us down but the gas pedal was still to the floor and rpms high. After 5 minutes of insanity it went back to normal and the warning light turned off and drive fine.

I don't use cruise control and it wasn't on at the time. Nothing was pushing the pedal down in the truck I felt it disappear under my foot. I had been driving for about 45 minutes prior, dry roads, maybe 15 degrees Celsius outside..

It's at dodge they have no idea what it could possibly be. Anyone have anything similar happen and figure out the issue? Makes me a bit nervous to drive in the city not knowing that the issue is.

Sorry to hear about this, next time just turn off your truck.

PaulMys 10-17-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asur (Post 1223445)

Yes. First thing I thought when reading this. Kill that ignition!

Chunkem 10-17-2013 08:30 PM

I know its easy for us to give advice after it happened....You also have the option of placing it in neutral and that will allow you the ability to steer without any issues.....Turning the truck off after placing it in neutral would also help.....Im just glad that your ok....Please let us know what they diagnose.....

Simple guy 10-17-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Asur (Post 1223445)

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulMys (Post 1223516)
Yes. First thing I thought when reading this. Kill that ignition!

DO NOT TURN OFF THE IGNITION! this may result in a locked steering column and a lethal crash. In a situation like this it's life over all put it in neutral or REVERSE. Grenading the transmission or the engine is less value than the cost of you or your family's life. fighting the rpms with the brakes can be a losing battle especially with inertia on the engine's side.

RansRAM 10-17-2013 09:00 PM

If that happened to me forget about the city I would never drive it again period. This can't be explained because the gas pedal on these trucks is an input device only. No motor or solinoid means no way it should disappear from your foot. The ECM cannot command it to move on its own. :4-dontknow:

Tridler 10-17-2013 11:45 PM

Dodge has said they have no idea what the issue is, the only code that came up was an error that happens when a person drives with one foot on the brake and one foot on the gas, which I don't do. It happened in this case because I was trying to slow the truck down but really that's the one and only time.

They've said they'll keep the truck over night and have a tech drive it around and see if they can recreate it but if not that's all they'll do and their sure I'm just mistaken about what happened.

I can't say I'm all that impressed or that enthused about potentially driving a truck around that at any moment might mow down a pedestrian. I also found another forum with story after story of the exact thing happening right back to the 2005 dodge ram 1500 and Dodge never recalling anything. http://www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/...l/problem.aspx

I think it's time to trade it in. :sad:

RogerRamJet 10-18-2013 12:34 AM

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, but like most folks have said on here 1) I'm glad you and everyone else is ok. Life above all else. And B) throw it in neutral and pull safely over to the side of the road or in to a parking lot/field. Again, glad your ok.

Asur 10-18-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simple guy (Post 1223548)
DO NOT TURN OFF THE IGNITION! this may result in a locked steering column and a lethal crash. In a situation like this it's life over all put it in neutral or REVERSE. Grenading the transmission or the engine is less value than the cost of you or your family's life. fighting the rpms with the brakes can be a losing battle especially with inertia on the engine's side.

I said turn it off, not put it in park and pull out the key, wow, you cant move the key out of acc if the transmission is still in anything else than park, don't go scaring people with un-information, all you do is turn the key towards off and your engine will shut down, you don't loose steering nor will the column lock, this is not a 1960 car. Sometimes it pays to be smart and learn how things work before going out and using them. :thk: