DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Does all the newer V8's have the 4-cylinder option? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=156331)

Jackdashack 10-21-2013 03:50 PM

Does all the newer V8's have the 4-cylinder option?

I saw someone posted that an ECO light comes on. I have never noticed this on mine in the month I've had it. It is a V8 Hemi 5.7 Going down the highway often shows 25/25mpg. So have 4 cyl shut down? Where could you look to know if you have that option. I hear the manual has nada, zip about the light that comes on. Some say it's just a feel good light, others say it means 4 cylinders.

I say ... how do you know you have the option or not?

THanks Jack ":-D

chrisze1 10-21-2013 03:52 PM

As far as I know, all the Ram 5.7 Hemi's have MDS.

Machran 10-21-2013 03:56 PM

You can turn the light on and off in the settings. Its either in the display or radio i cant remember but i had to turn mine on. All hemi's have the mds

Jackdashack 10-21-2013 04:06 PM

Thanks to Chrisze1 and Machran: I didn't realize I had that even though several have asked. I found this just now. A good overview of MDS operation.

http://www.*************/f53/mds_ope...overview-7540/

Well even using the link icon above it won't allow me ot post this link???? Possibly because it's from another RAM forum?

Here is cut and paste:

The Multiple Displacement System (MDS) provides cylinder deactivation during steady speed, low acceleration and shallow grade climbing conditions to increase fuel economy. Both four and eight cylinder configurations have even firing intervals providesmooth operation. Two cylinders on each bank are active when the engine is in four-cylinder mode – every other cylinder in the firing order. All of the cylinders that are deactivated have unique hydraulic valve lifters that collapse when deactivated to prevent the valves from opening. Engine oil pressure is used to activate and deactivate the valves. It is delivered through special oil passages drilled into the cylinder block. Solenoid valves control the flow. When activated, pressurized oil pushes a latching pin on each valve lifter, which then becomes a “lost motion” link. Its base follows the camshaft, but its top remains stationary, held in place against the pushrod by light spring pressure but unable to move because of the much higher force of the valve spring.

NOTE: It is critical to use the recommended oil viscosity in 5.7L engines that use MDS.

Deactivation occurs during the compression stroke of each cylinder, after air and fuel enter the cylinder. Ignition then occurs, but the combustion products remain trapped in the cylinder under high pressure, because the valves no longer open. No air enters or leaves. During subsequent piston strokes, this high-pressure gas is repeatedly compressed and expanded like an air spring, but fuel is not injected.

CharlieL 10-21-2013 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackdashack (Post 1226196)

Here is cut and paste:

The Multiple Displacement System (MDS) provides cylinder deactivation during steady speed, low acceleration and shallow grade climbing conditions to increase fuel economy. Both four and eight cylinder configurations have even firing intervals providesmooth operation. Two cylinders on each bank are active when the engine is in four-cylinder mode – every other cylinder in the firing order. All of the cylinders that are deactivated have unique hydraulic valve lifters that collapse when deactivated to prevent the valves from opening. Engine oil pressure is used to activate and deactivate the valves. It is delivered through special oil passages drilled into the cylinder block. Solenoid valves control the flow. When activated, pressurized oil pushes a latching pin on each valve lifter, which then becomes a “lost motion” link. Its base follows the camshaft, but its top remains stationary, held in place against the pushrod by light spring pressure but unable to move because of the much higher force of the valve spring.

NOTE: It is critical to use the recommended oil viscosity in 5.7L engines that use MDS.

Deactivation occurs during the compression stroke of each cylinder, after air and fuel enter the cylinder. Ignition then occurs, but the combustion products remain trapped in the cylinder under high pressure, because the valves no longer open. No air enters or leaves. During subsequent piston strokes, this high-pressure gas is repeatedly compressed and expanded like an air spring, but fuel is not injected.

Thanks for this info - I was curious how it actually worked.

As stated above, the "ECO" setting is found through the UConnect settings. The setting is an on/off "Fuel Saver Display in Cluster." See page 297 of the owners manual

battlerattle 10-21-2013 05:11 PM

All 1500 Hemis have MDS........my 2500 does not.

Asur 10-21-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlieL (Post 1226209)
Thanks for this info - I was curious how it actually worked.

As stated above, the "ECO" setting is found through the UConnect settings. The setting is an on/off "Fuel Saver Display in Cluster." See page 297 of the owners manual

The ECO indicator is not an indicator for whether the MDS is on or not, its just an indicator that tells you when your engine is running at its optimal performance level.

ECO indicator has nothing to do with MDS, MDS is triggered by different variables, you can disable MDS and still get the ECO light to trigger on, like the 4.7L engine, no MDS, it has only the fancy vacuum sensor that turns the light in the dash on when it senses the engine is not forcing and at that point burning its fuel optimally.

From the Manual
"ECO / ECO-ON (Fuel Saver Indicator) — If Equipped
The ECO-ON indicator will illuminate when you are
driving in a fuel efficient manner and can be used to
modify driving habits in order to increase fuel economy.
The ECO display will toggle between ECO and ECO-ON
depending on driving habits and vehicle usage. Press the
Odometer / Trip Odometer / ECO (Fuel Saver Indicator)
button to change the display from odometer to either of
the two trip odometer settings or the “ECO” display"

You can turn this option on or off in EVIC

Jackdashack 10-21-2013 05:51 PM

Thanks for every poster here ... everyone has added.

Asur: your post is interesting. I admit I have not gone through all the settings on Uconnect and I surely need to. Now this ECO / ECO-ON ... I think that's been replaced in my EVIC with an actual guage like a speedometer. I toggle through the EVIC options and there it is. It shows real time gas mpg. When I have a steady foot on the hwy or using cruise I usually get 25/26 mpg. That must be with the 4 cyl cut out for sure. But it goes wildly up and down like the speedometer would as I press and depress the pedal.

Thanks all for this input. There's no better place to learn than in a forum. Everyone knows a little and some a lot.

Jack ":-D

Explorer Rob 10-22-2013 01:47 AM

You are talking about something entirely different. The ECO light is a green light that says "ECO" only in the lower left corner of the gauge display. Its position can't be changed and has to be turned on in the radio (at least on the 8.4" screens). The option to turn on the ECO display disappeared a couple of software versions ago. I'm not sure if it showed back up again or not with the latest update. I turned mine on when I first got my Ram in April and have left it on since. I do know the option was missing in version 13.19.0 and I think the version before.

Jackdashack 10-22-2013 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Explorer Rob (Post 1226573)
You are talking about something entirely different. .

Thanks a boatload there Explorer Rob! :smileup: