DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Public Safety (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   going to use Homelink buttons to turn on pov lights. (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=156558)

chrisnarron 10-23-2013 11:01 PM

going to use Homelink buttons to turn on pov lights.
 
i just got a 2009 ram. i had a 04' previously lit up like a Christmas tree. wiring is a big hobby of mine. but im always posed of where i can put a clean looking switch. well when i got this truck i knew what i wanted to do. i wanted to find a way to use my factory Home link garage door buttons to toggle a relay and turn my lights on and off. today i tested this theory on a light bar out side the truck and it worked. i purchased a linear wireless receiver and 3 wireless buttons. programmed each button on its on Chanel on the receiver and then each receiver to its respective home link button. i just broke negative power of my light with the relay. it worked perfectly. so now i have three buttons that wireless give me a dry contact. now to buy lights;) im either going to make switch one control the front, 2 the rear and three the sides or do 1 the front and sides, 2 the rear and 3 all the lights.

Has anyone done or seen this done before?

tlvzee 10-29-2013 01:24 PM

That is one heck of an idea!! I like it, but I'm afraid with my meager electrical skills, I can't help you with any ideas. I've got a 2002 third gen. Ram that I've been looking for ideas to run emergency lighting with clean looking switches. I do also have the homelink system, but never thought of trying to run lighting from it. I have 2 dummy switches next to the front heated seat switches. So far, I haven't been able to find a factory style switch that fits in that particular panel. I'd love to here any good ideas you had with your previous truck. Good luck with your '09! Please let us know how your install turns out.

Firemedic10584 11-22-2013 02:19 PM

heck of an idea!! I did a basic setup in my 2011...but in this 2013, I went with less lights and a switch that looks like it came in my truck from the factory. I have a Ram specific Feniex pegasus up front, two T-6s on the toolbox for the sides, and two T-6s on a license plate bracket for the rear. The Pegasus I couldn't say enough good things about. The fitment against our windshield and headliner is amazing!

Iqudayo 11-22-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisnarron (Post 1228049)
i just got a 2009 ram. i had a 04' previously lit up like a Christmas tree. wiring is a big hobby of mine. but im always posed of where i can put a clean looking switch. well when i got this truck i knew what i wanted to do. i wanted to find a way to use my factory Home link garage door buttons to toggle a relay and turn my lights on and off. today i tested this theory on a light bar out side the truck and it worked. i purchased a linear wireless receiver and 3 wireless buttons. programmed each button on its on Chanel on the receiver and then each receiver to its respective home link button. i just broke negative power of my light with the relay. it worked perfectly. so now i have three buttons that wireless give me a dry contact. now to buy lights;) im either going to make switch one control the front, 2 the rear and three the sides or do 1 the front and sides, 2 the rear and 3 all the lights.

Has anyone done or seen this done before?

You sir are insane in theory. I've never tried it now I have a new challenge this site needs a hazard warning on it because every time I get on it it becomes bad for my wallet.
Great find :Banana01:

GTyankee 11-22-2013 02:32 PM

When my garage door was made out of wood & had the garage door opener
i just put a micro switch to turn on the lights in the garage, when ever the door was opened, the light stayed on for 5 minutes. By that time i could get out of the vehicle & turn on my overhead shop lights
Now my garage door is made out of aluminum & runs on a track along the ceiling
i am thinking about using a different micro switch to place along the track, to do the same thing

chrisnarron 12-05-2013 08:33 AM

I did the set up in my 2009 and my buddys 07 ram. It works flawlessly. The 07 truck you have to hold the home link button down for .5 seconds where as mine is instant. I just used a 4 channel wirelss receiver so I could have 3 different outputs for each home link button. I had to use 3 different 315 mhz remites to program the receiver and homelink transmitter. The wireless reciever provides me a dry contavt on each chanel when activated by home link. I used each contact to break negative power on 3 30 amp relays. So when I hit a home link button it sends a signal to my receiver. My reciever then then buts a short on my relay negative piwer. The relay has constant dused 12v positive. The relay turns on and my lights come on. I have a relay for front rear and side lights. I will be tring to up load pics as I can. Maybey even do a formal writw up.

Iqudayo 12-05-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chrisnarron (Post 1261229)
I did the set up in my 2009 and my buddys 07 ram. It works flawlessly. The 07 truck you have to hold the home link button down for .5 seconds where as mine is instant. I just used a 4 channel wirelss receiver so I could have 3 different outputs for each home link button. I had to use 3 different 315 mhz remites to program the receiver and homelink transmitter. The wireless reciever provides me a dry contavt on each chanel when activated by home link. I used each contact to break negative power on 3 30 amp relays. So when I hit a home link button it sends a signal to my receiver. My reciever then then buts a short on my relay negative piwer. The relay has constant dused 12v positive. The relay turns on and my lights come on. I have a relay for front rear and side lights. I will be tring to up load pics as I can. Maybey even do a formal writw up.

I would love to see how you did this I can use (borrow) your idea I have lights to hook up and no other good spots, I can use that spot to run my emergency lights (blue lights) it's not a switch that is easy to reach possibly for my air horn. please give us details you have a great idea at hand

chrisnarron 12-10-2013 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iqudayo (Post 1261268)
I would love to see how you did this I can use (borrow) your idea I have lights to hook up and no other good spots, I can use that spot to run my emergency lights (blue lights) it's not a switch that is easy to reach possibly for my air horn. please give us details you have a great idea at hand

Heres a few pics of my set up. the top piece is the wireless receiver that communicates with the homelink. more or less you program it just like a garage door receiver. i then use the out puts to power the two relays below. i do that by giving the relays positive 12v from my fuse panel. i then break the ground with the out put from the receiver. when it powers up it switches the states of my relays. i use the relays to break the power of my lights. one relay is for front lights and one for the rear. i dont have good pics of the rear but all together the rear has two light bars in the window. 4 hideaway leds in the tail lights, two lights on the reciever hitch and 4 micro leds under the tailgate. i used the sho-me flasher pictured for some of the leds.

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0oaxpl1h.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...ps5vmfpdw7.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...psowsrry7c.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...psbiioam2v.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4xzbyjbd.jpg

http://i1234.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1nsycuw3.jpg

Thebestestdrummer 12-17-2013 01:32 AM

holy shit... Thats crazy fantastic..

:rep:

RogerRamJet 12-17-2013 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thebestestdrummer (Post 1270444)
holy shit... Thats crazy fantastic..

:rep:

Crazy fantastic... can't argue with that. Nice set up, Dood!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:41 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger