DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Interior and Exterior Lighting (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Slight Flickering with Retro Soulitions HID (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=157919)

KnuckleHead 11-08-2013 07:25 PM

Slight Flickering with Retro Soulitions HID
 
So I got my kit in last weekend and this week I noticed that my drivers side low beam in flickering or maybe pulsing is a better way to put it. I have contacted Retro and they of course want me to start swapping bulbs and ballasts around, which it understandable, but I am not happy about spending another couple of hours taking my front end apart.

Anywho, here is a vid that lets you see what I am going on about. Has anyone seen this before and/or know what the issue is?

ps, I ran my harness straight to the battery (both pos and neg).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/m47p1wugja...2015.12.57.mov

mexi 11-08-2013 09:33 PM

mine does the same ..... i just stopped caring ... if they quit im going back stock

gcscott 11-09-2013 09:52 AM

I watched your video and I can see the flickering. You have the engine speed at idle.

(1) Does it do it when you run the RPM up to say around 1000-1200 RPM?

(2) Does it do it with the engine off and lights on?

(3) It looks like you are not getting enough power to the ballast. What other power options, if any, did you install?

Do 1 & 2 first. To trouble shoot, I would run a hot wire and ground wire directly to the ballast, from the battery, which will bypass the wiring harness and see what you get. Next would be swap the bulbs. Last would be swap the ballasts.

I have the Retro H11, 55watt kit installed and don't have this problem.

Greg

KnuckleHead 11-09-2013 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcscott (Post 1241561)
I watched your video and I can see the flickering. You have the engine speed at idle.

(1) Does it do it when you run the RPM up to say around 1000-1200 RPM?

(2) Does it do it with the engine off and lights on?

(3) It looks like you are not getting enough power to the ballast. What other power options, if any, did you install?

Do 1 & 2 first. To trouble shoot, I would run a hot wire and ground wire directly to the ballast, from the battery, which will bypass the wiring harness and see what you get. Next would be swap the bulbs. Last would be swap the ballasts.

I have the Retro H11, 55watt kit installed and don't have this problem.

Greg

Yeah, for 1 and 2 it does it at any RPM and with the engine off. I am going to swap the bulbs and ballasts around next weekend when I have the time. It seems to me that it would be a bulb or ballast problem as the other low beam light and both the fogs work just fine.

gcscott 11-09-2013 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gcscott (Post 1241561)
I watched your video and I can see the flickering. You have the engine speed at idle.

(1) Does it do it when you run the RPM up to say around 1000-1200 RPM?

(2) Does it do it with the engine off and lights on?

(3) It looks like you are not getting enough power to the ballast. What other power options, if any, did you install?

Do 1 & 2 first. To trouble shoot, I would run a hot wire and ground wire directly to the ballast, from the battery, which will bypass the wiring harness and see what you get. Next would be swap the bulbs. Last would be swap the ballasts.

I have the Retro H11, 55watt kit installed and don't have this problem.

Greg

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnuckleHead (Post 1241591)
Yeah, for 1 and 2 it does it at any RPM and with the engine off. I am going to swap the bulbs and ballasts around next weekend when I have the time. It seems to me that it would be a bulb or ballast problem as the other low beam light and both the fogs work just fine.

I was thinking it was just a low RPM issue with current supply to the ballast. Not much fun switching everything around to isolate the problem. (PIA)

Greg

Monster5601 11-10-2013 08:36 AM

I had a similar issue with the retro kit. It was on the passenger side, it started oscillating like yours and became more pronounced.

Turned out to be the ballast.

KnuckleHead 11-10-2013 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monster5601 (Post 1242205)
I had a similar issue with the retro kit. It was on the passenger side, it started oscillating like yours and became more pronounced.

Turned out to be the ballast.


Ok, thanks. I will start with the ballast.

dodgeboy360 11-11-2013 08:36 PM

I had the retro kit I think.. And it lasted about 3 weeks then my headlights turned into strobe lights so I found it was a bad capacitor so I changed it then 3 days later the lights just shut off on my way to work. I was so mad I just grabbed the side cutters and cut all that bullshit out and put the stock back in. Was a waste of money. But I did love the light the HID did produce so I'm looking at maybe getting a better set up

MBR 11-11-2013 09:21 PM

My retro kit I have in my fog light flicker more that that but only when it's cold out! Been bugging me forever!

KnuckleHead 11-11-2013 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MBR (Post 1243451)
My retro kit I have in my fog light flicker more that that but only when it's cold out! Been bugging me forever!


Well, I will post up when I get the time to swap everything around and figure it out.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors
= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger