DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L (345 cu in) HEMI V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=196)
-   -   Oil Catch Can?? (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=157936)

cnvf250 11-08-2013 09:30 PM

Oil Catch Can??

So, How important is putting on an oil catch can on 2014 5.7 Ram. Has anyone done it on a one yet. It doesn’t look very complicated. If it is truly necessary I will do it.

dbuzz77 11-08-2013 10:24 PM

i'm just working on mine. they say it steals octane from your gas,especially if you add mods and are looking for performance

goldfly727 11-09-2013 12:06 AM

I'm new to owning a Ram. Used to have a Duramax. Loving my Ram.

Anyway....what's the purpose of the oil catch can?

teflon74 11-09-2013 12:56 AM

it removes the oil particulate in the air from the egr valve. Keeps the intake plenum way cleaner. I have one sitting on the bench waiting for my new limited.

Hermes1 11-09-2013 12:12 PM

The best mod you can do for not a lot of $$ and easy install. Here is a link to
my install: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=153544 There are quite a few threads on this information packed forum on catch cans, worth checking out.

Silvercreek 11-20-2013 05:27 AM

I'm not doubting that the catch can keeps the throttle body and the intake clean but I wonder who and why the catch can was invented if it was only for that reason. Not knowing anything about the 5.7 Hemi engine I can't comment on any real benefits of a catch can.

Mate2011RT 11-20-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnvf250 (Post 1241295)
So, How important is putting on an oil catch can on 2014 5.7 Ram. Has anyone done it on a one yet. It doesn’t look very complicated. If it is truly necessary I will do it.

It is not truly necessary or it would have been added when the vehicle was designed. Could it be a good idea? yes. Looking at the amount of oil I get out of mine, I prefer to have it rather than recirculating oil into the intake, but it was designed without it, and it is your truck; do what you wish with it.
Same thing for air intakes, filters, synthetic fluids, headers, tuners, exhaust, y-pipes, thermostats, etc, etc. None are truly necessary.

Quote:

Originally Posted by teflon74 (Post 1241470)
it removes the oil particulate in the air from the egr valve. Keeps the intake plenum way cleaner. I have one sitting on the bench waiting for my new limited.

^ This

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silvercreek (Post 1250007)
I'm not doubting that the catch can keeps the throttle body and the intake clean but I wonder who and why the catch can was invented if it was only for that reason. Not knowing anything about the 5.7 Hemi engine I can't comment on any real benefits of a catch can.

It keeps the throttle body and the intake clean. That is a pretty good reason for invention and applications.
I am not sure when the item itself was invented/patented, but versions have been around since steam engines to separate lubricating oil (pistons) from water used in generating steam (fuel). Carried over into IC engines, they have been around as long as I can remember, usually in performance or precision applications rather than mass production as they are a maintenance item no one wants to be responsible for. Exception being aviation and military, but neither are 'production' really, and have a much higher service and inspection interval than domestic automobiles.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbuzz77 (Post 1241348)
i'm just working on mine. they say it steals octane from your gas,especially if you add mods and are looking for performance

wut?
enlighten me, and please reference 'they'

Hermes1 11-20-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mate2011RT (Post 1250066)
It is not truly necessary or it would have been added when the vehicle was designed. Could it be a good idea? yes. Looking at the amount of oil I get out of mine, I prefer to have it rather than recirculating oil into the intake, but it was designed without it, and it is your truck; do what you wish with it.

I am pretty sure the only reason catch cans are not added by the manufacturer, is because it becomes a maintenance item easily overlooked by the average car buyer and could pose a real problem if not regularly drained. Manufacturer's have in general tried to reduce and/or stretch out maintenance requirements.

dbuzz77 11-23-2013 09:40 PM

" they " is a lot of the posting on here and on the internet coming from different people saying the same thing about catch cans.

abissus 11-23-2013 09:48 PM

how important are catch cans?