DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Brakes (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=152)
-   -   Serious "Brake-Shake" with a 2007 Ram (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158198)

Kern Dog 11-11-2013 09:22 PM

Serious "Brake-Shake" with a 2007 Ram

Since I found no forum dedicated to brake issues, I figured I'd try this one.
My 2007 reg cab shortbed SLT Ram 1500 has developed an annoying vibration that only occurs when the brakes are applied at speeds of 60 mph and faster. I had the tires balanced and rotated a few days ago and it made no difference. I replaced the rear brake rotors and pads with OEM Mopar parts, and the shake still persists. The front rotors and pads were replaced with Mopar parts a few months ago and all was fine then.
The tie rods are fine. The ball joints are fine. The upper and lower control arm bushings still look great. The truck has 174,000 miles on it.
My afternoon freeway commute often has unexpected slowdowns from 70+ mph down to a stop and this truck often shakes like I'm travelling down a cobblestone road.
How likely is it that the 3 month old front rotors could be warped? The truck stops fine under 50 mph, but I can feel some slight pulsating.

shawnu 11-11-2013 10:00 PM

My 06 started doing this same exact thing...but then it was totaled so i never figured it out...

Wish i could be more help but im not..so a free bump for you!!

P s.- the brake shake did nit cause the wreck. Lol

Kern Dog 11-12-2013 01:13 AM

That is kooky!
I also had a 2006 that was totalled. It also had the same problem.
The 2006 I had was a 4x4. By 18,000 miles the brake shake started, mostly while slowing downhill. I had the dealer check the runout of the rotors. They were just a few thousandths out of spec. The rears were resurfaced and the problem was diminished but not eliminated. The front were resurfaced afterwards and while it seemed fine, the shake came back within 10,000 miles. The truck was totalled at 33,000 miles when I was broadsided by a guy that ran a stop sign.

RogerRamJet 11-12-2013 01:17 AM

If it's not the rotors, then check the master cylinder, the combination valves and the anti-lock module. Could have a stuck caliper as well.

Warlock III 11-12-2013 11:57 AM

Sounds to me like the front rotors all right. I've seen many a new rotor go bad well before it's time. I'd have dodge change them because they should still easily be under warranty.

TJC.geotech 11-12-2013 12:23 PM

I went through a similar thing about a decade ago, and it was the brake pads delaminating from the backing plates. Visually the pads looked fine, until you popped them out of the caliper and they fell away from the backing plate. Changed to a different manufacturer and the problem went away.

Nemmisis1 11-12-2013 06:27 PM

Your front rotors are warped... That happens from heavy heavy breaking and heat.... Do your self a favor and look n eBay r1 rotor concepts...u need drilled/slotted rotors to get the heat off the pads quicker... Got a set on mine love them and they look great.!!!! All for less than 350 all 4 rotors and break pads... ...p.s get ceramic pads less dust...

Kern Dog 11-14-2013 10:05 PM

It turned out to be the rotors....
I pulled them Tuesday night, had them turned yesterday, installed them last night. Todays drive showed ZERO shake.
The machinist said they weren't warped a whole lot, but they surely were not perfect.
All seems well now.
Thanks guys!

RogerRamJet 11-15-2013 01:27 AM

Voonderbar! Thanks for the update.