DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   somebody didn't think this through.... (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158343)

Rexer 11-13-2013 11:53 AM

somebody didn't think this through....

So...last night I decided it was time to start plugging the truck in at night (using the block heater) when I noticed something...

Whoever decided how long that cord should be on my truck should get his cord cut...the cord barely reaches the radiator let alone go past the grill for easy access...

Anybody else have this problem? What did you do?

Oh and the truck has a pentastar engine which is why I think I have this problem (you know that lovely big gap in front of the engine that people can stand in)

gonefishin776 11-13-2013 11:58 AM

forgive my ignorance.

i've only ever heard of plugging diesels in when it's cold. but i also don't live in a very cold place either.

there are block heaters on gassers?

Rexer 11-13-2013 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1244650)
forgive my ignorance.

i've only ever heard of plugging diesels in when it's cold. but i also don't live in a very cold place either.

there are block heaters on gassers?

I'm jealous...I WISH I never had the need to have one lol
In all seriousness though it's a necessity, it more or less keeps the oil warm so that it can start on the really cold days (I start plugging my truck in as soon as it gets below freezing so that it warms up faster).

Also (and I'm sure that somebody more mechanically inclined will chirp in here if I'm wrong) but my understanding is that it's very hard on an engine when it starts up frozen, so it more or less adds to engine longevity IMO.

Duckhunter 11-13-2013 12:12 PM

You use an extension cord so you don't have to roll up 10' of cord under your hood.

gonefishin776 11-13-2013 12:13 PM

do all trucks now have that? or is it an option for you guys up in the cold states/Canada?

Rexer 11-13-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckhunter (Post 1244665)
You use an extension cord so you don't have to roll up 10' of cord under your hood.

So...pop the hood and fish it out everytime to plug it in? then pop the hood again every morning to unplug it???

Doesn't seem practical for something that's done on a daily basis...

Rexer 11-13-2013 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gonefishin776 (Post 1244669)
do all trucks now have that? or is it an option for you guys up in the cold states/Canada?

Not sure about the cold states but in Canada it's a pretty standard equipment add on.

Boosted 11-13-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duckhunter (Post 1244665)

I think he realizes that. His problem sounds like the cord in the truck isn't long enough to reach beyond the grille which is the way most block heaters are set up.

Rexer 11-13-2013 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boosted (Post 1244679)
I think he realizes that. His problem sounds like the cord in the truck isn't long enough to reach beyond the grille which is the way most block heaters are set up.

Bingo! Thank you Boosted!

katokahn99 11-13-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rexer (Post 1244674)
So...pop the hood and fish it out everytime to plug it in? then pop the hood again every morning to unplug it???

Doesn't seem practical for something that's done on a daily basis...

Lots of older vehicles have to do this. I'm surprised you have to do this with your 2013.
Was yours installed after-market or at the factory?
I suggest you go get a longer cable installed that will allow the terminal/plug to be mounted behind your bumper where it can be easily reached.

Mine was installed at the factory that way (behind the bumper).