DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   5.7L V8 Specific Topics (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=185)
-   -   engine swap for power (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158348)

manbearpig54 11-13-2013 02:08 PM

engine swap for power

hey guys, a few years down the road most likely i would like to swap my 5.7L out of my 04 1500. i want a lot of power! i have thought about a crate supercharged 426. how hard would that be? i have tried to look for a popular engine swap for my truck but have only found posts of guys putting in the newer 5.7L if anyone could shed any light on this for me it would be greatly appreciated. anything like if the 426 would be a good swap. or if there's something more powerful that you think i would like more? thanks in advance guys.

Tommycat 11-13-2013 02:25 PM

These newer trucks don't take kindly to having a different engine in them. If I were you, I'd buy a bare block and build up a block for more power. Go with forged internals. These can be made to push up to 1000HP if you want. You might be happier with a fully built up high HP HEMI than all the wiring nightmare of getting a 426 to work.

CdnoilRAM 11-13-2013 02:47 PM

You can swap in any modern hemi engine that's based off the 5.7L, 6.1L, or 6.4L. The 5.7L based engine will be the easiest to do, but the 6.1L is almost a direct swap as well. I've found that if you're planning to run boost that a smaller cu engine will respond better, so if you're interested in a swap then maybe look at a 5.7L based 370 or a 6.1L based 392/400, if you can even find a donor 6.1L block in a few years.

If you're dead set on big cubes with a blower then places like Arrington can get you setup, a local club member has a 6.1L based 440 with a F-1C blower making 1100rwhp.

Your next deciding factor will be what transmission you plan to use because you'll need to be seriously looking elsewhere for something that's NOT the 545rfe. For me, if I blow the built trans I have now I'll be looking at a GCSRT drivetrain swap with a Dominator NAG1.

Tommycat 11-13-2013 04:34 PM

Hmmm reading up the 426 appears to be a stroked 6.1. In which case, he might be able to swap it in transferring the wiring harness, sensors, and any additional connectors. Obviously it will need a computer update as well to handle the fuel, but...

I still stand by not needing the 426 for it. You run out of transmission long before you reach the limit of the 5.7 block.

HemiLonestar 11-13-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CdnoilRAM (Post 1244772)
You can swap in any modern hemi engine that's based off the 5.7L, 6.1L, or 6.4L. The 5.7L based engine will be the easiest to do, but the 6.1L is almost a direct swap as well. I've found that if you're planning to run boost that a smaller cu engine will respond better, so if you're interested in a swap then maybe look at a 5.7L based 370 or a 6.1L based 392/400, if you can even find a donor 6.1L block in a few years.

If you're dead set on big cubes with a blower then places like Arrington can get you setup, a local club member has a 6.1L based 440 with a F-1C blower making 1100rwhp.

Your next deciding factor will be what transmission you plan to use because you'll need to be seriously looking elsewhere for something that's NOT the 545rfe. For me, if I blow the built trans I have now I'll be looking at a GCSRT drivetrain swap with a Dominator NAG1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommycat (Post 1244824)
Hmmm reading up the 426 appears to be a stroked 6.1. In which case, he might be able to swap it in transferring the wiring harness, sensors, and any additional connectors. Obviously it will need a computer update as well to handle the fuel, but...

I still stand by not needing the 426 for it. You run out of transmission long before you reach the limit of the 5.7 block.

This is where my line of questioning was going, I don't have anything done internally and I've toasted 2 transmissions.

manbearpig54 11-13-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommycat (Post 1244824)

I didn't know there was that much capability in the 5.7 i have CAI, headers, and flowmaster, next is throttle body. i know i could do camshaft and probably injectors but i guess i am far from the knowledge you guys have. also i have looked online and i haven't found any root style superchargers for my year 5.7 maybe i'm looking in the wrong spots?

Tommycat 11-13-2013 09:04 PM

http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...outs/Dodge.htm
You can get the PCM, engine and headlight to dash harness from an 08 and have it flashed easier than swapping in a 426. You'd have to swap that all in anyway.

But I'd build it all out of the truck first, then when you're ready put it in and be a few thousand cheaper than the 426 HEMI with a stronger setup

HemiLonestar 11-13-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommycat (Post 1245082)
http://www.kennebell.net/KBWebsite/S...outs/Dodge.htm
You can get the PCM, engine and headlight to dash harness from an 08 and have it flashed easier than swapping in a 426. You'd have to swap that all in anyway.

But I'd build it all out of the truck first, then when you're ready put it in and be a few thousand cheaper than the 426 HEMI with a stronger setup

Don't want to do that with CANbus setup trying to put into a PCI bus truck. The 04 is capable of custom tuning, just not as good with trans tuning. The trick here would be to swap an 05 PCM, shouldn't be that hard once you figure out the pinouts (04 to 05 not that different, not like an 03 to 05). The 5.7 with good gearing, converter, exhaust, heads, cam and a good tune is a runner. There is a quad cab that runs high 12's if I remember correctly (chefred's truck) all engine (stock displacement). He runs nitrous and that drops it even lower.

Here's an example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaLi-aKYtDo

Tommycat 11-14-2013 01:17 AM

Actually now that you mention it, the best idea would be to swap the PCU, engine harness and headlight to dash harness(if he doesn't want to trace out wires) from an 05 in. Replace the go pedal, and everything else should match up. The sensors and everything but the go pedal all line up the same. The only reason the go pedal doesn't line up is because in 04 they still had the throttle cable hooked up under the TIPM to the Throttle control.

Honestly it really depends on what he wants to get out of it. If he's wanting a drag truck, then he's got a LONG way to go. Still be cheaper than the 426 and better overall performance. Heh This is the stuff I love talking through. That Kenne Bell will work on his hemi, but he will need a custom tune to get the most out of it. It may be a good idea to build up a block from the ground up to handle the power, then get a nice bulletproofed trans to back it. Then the swap in could be done in an afternoon(CLICK) and he's off to roasting tires, and shattering his rear end.

HemiLonestar 11-14-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommycat (Post 1245304)
Actually now that you mention it, the best idea would be to swap the PCU, engine harness and headlight to dash harness(if he doesn't want to trace out wires) from an 05 in. Replace the go pedal, and everything else should match up. The sensors and everything but the go pedal all line up the same. The only reason the go pedal doesn't line up is because in 04 they still had the throttle cable hooked up under the TIPM to the Throttle control.

Honestly it really depends on what he wants to get out of it. If he's wanting a drag truck, then he's got a LONG way to go. Still be cheaper than the 426 and better overall performance. Heh This is the stuff I love talking through. That Kenne Bell will work on his hemi, but he will need a custom tune to get the most out of it. It may be a good idea to build up a block from the ground up to handle the power, then get a nice bulletproofed trans to back it. Then the swap in could be done in an afternoon(CLICK) and he's off to roasting tires, and shattering his rear end.

Dana 60 for the win

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...6.jpg~original