DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   New to Hemi, need help on decisions! (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158379)

quiksilver13 11-13-2013 09:39 PM

New to Hemi, need help on decisions!

Hello everyone! Glad to finally be on the forum. Any way I purchased my first brand new truck a few months ago. A 2013 RAM 1500 4x4 crew cab 6-speed. Absolutely love it, but as some one coming from nothing but modified diesels, I need more power and have absolutely no idea what I am doing quite honestly to get the most out of these trucks without going too extreme. Thanks to research on this forum I had decided on tuning from Hemifever, vararam intake, 87mm TB from Moe's, and a Mufflex muffler delete. But before I pulled the trigger on ordering this stuff I need a little help.

I wasn't paying attention when I bought my truck on the gearing, as it took a little while to find 1 equipped with everything else exactly how I wanted it slipped my mind and now I am cursed with the 3.55 gearing. I love the mileage being around 17, but I want it to be quicker .. and am considering 3.92, 4.10, or maybe even 4.56s. I don't want my mileage to drop below around 15 avg mixed driving, and can't seem to find much of what people are getting with 4.10s or 4.56s though.. I will be keeping stock sized tires and know the other mods will help mileage but would like some personal experience on this as I cannot decide on what gears to get. And I know it might be a long shot (since my truck is about as heavy as the half-tons can get) but would like high 13s in the 1/4.

Also, how reliable are these trucks overall when modded? I know it has warranty but if the programmer or something winds up getting rid of that, should I expect to have problems? I do have a somewhat heavy foot, and make trips to the track when I can. since this is my only means of transportation I really need it to stay reliable while being as fast as it can while doing so.

And what about a converter?? I don't tow much, just a fourwheeler every now and then, so would a 2800-3000 stall be suitable? What works best on these trucks for a daily driver?

Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to make sure to cover all the info I thought ya'll might need. Thanks in advance for any help!

TheSatinPumpkin 11-13-2013 09:52 PM

going to be a pretty penny for regear.

quiksilver13 11-13-2013 09:55 PM

How much we looking at? Couple grand?

HemiLonestar 11-13-2013 10:36 PM

Give or take, depending on where you live/what the shop charges.

quiksilver13 11-13-2013 10:52 PM

Alright, that is around what I was figuring. Would 4.10s or 4.56s completely destroy my mileage? Would it even be worth the change to 3.92s as far as acceleration goes?

TheSatinPumpkin 11-13-2013 10:59 PM

raise it a few hundred rpm but not sure what the process is for doing the front w/ 4.xx's

brandonjansen 11-13-2013 11:03 PM

A gear change in a 2012+ Ram is closer to $3500. You need to get a front diff from a 09-11 in order to do it, then have it machined out for the larger gears (if you're going with 4.10's or 4.56's) and then have the new gears installed. It definitely isn't a cheap or easy task.

quiksilver13 11-13-2013 11:20 PM

Oh, gotcha. So much for that idea.

jerseymike 11-14-2013 12:13 AM

Yeah the gears are gonna be a nice chuck of change. Maybe 2500 to 3000 if you already have limited slip and just need the gears. I went from 3.55 to 4.10 with stock tires and lost about .5 mpg overall. Closer to 2 mpg on the highway. 0 to 60 it pulls much better but I dont think I gained much in the 1/4 mile because it shifts into another gear. Also its hard to get traction. :)

You have a good plan with your mod list: intake, TB, muffler delete and hemifever. Maybe wait for a set of longtube headers instead of the gear change. With the custom tune you would get a good gain from the longtube headers.

Torque converter. I had a 3000 stall that was to high, I now have 2600 stall and think it is perfect for my truck. Stick to an 11 inch TC.

quiksilver13 11-14-2013 01:24 AM

Appreciate the info jerseymike! What didn't you like about the 3000?