DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php)
-   2013 Dodge Ram Forum (http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Vibration ram 1500 4x4 hemi 2013 (http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=158632)

rocko737 11-16-2013 10:25 PM

Vibration ram 1500 4x4 hemi 2013

anyone have a vibration problem on highway starts bought 60mph.?

Gantman 11-16-2013 10:35 PM

I would say that would be your MDS kicking in.

Monster5601 11-17-2013 08:20 AM

I don't have any vibration at any speed, well, at least up to 85MPH since that is as fast as I've gone. I have the eight speedy tranny.

MDS doesn't cause vibrations that I can feel, it does cause a change in the exhaust note but vibrations, not at all.

There are other active threads going with vibration issues, seems all have a six speed transmission.

malinois1 11-17-2013 09:13 PM

I have a 2013 1500 Hemi 4x4 and I can assure you that I have no vibration at 60 plus. This is not normal at all. Years ago I owned a chevy cavalier and had a similar problem with it. So I bought my car into Western Auto(now out of business) and they told me one of my tires had a shifted belt and I had to replace them all. So I paid to have them all changed. Left the shop and had the same problem. Went back and they told me my rims were warped and that I must of hit a curb. So I ordered some rims from them and had the tire mounted and balanced on the new rims. Left and had the same dang problem. As you can imagine I am well pissed at this point. So they tell me these new rims are out of round and they replace them with a new set and mount and balance them again. I leave and have the same problem.

So I decided to take the care to a alignment frame straightening shop. With me in the shop the guy lift the back of the car and puts a machine under one wheel to spin the tire at fast speeds and remove the machine. He looks at the behavior foe about 5 seconds and says , you have water in your tire. I said no way, how can I after all these rims and tires? He says probably western auto is not filtering there compressor properly and is getting water in while filling the tire with air. Well, needless to say I thought the guy was bs'ing me.

He says do you want me to fix it or do you want to go to western auto and have them do their job right and fix it for free. I said, I tell you what, I will pay you to break down one tire for me in front of me and prove your theory so I don't look like a fool. Needless to say when he broke down the tire water came pouring out.

Well long story short I went to western auto and made them bust a tire open and they looked like fools. I called the general manager and asked for a refund for all my money for tires and rims and he declined to do it. I then call the CEO of western auto...Needless to say they refunded all of my money.

So look for a balance problem or maybe water in the wheels. If not that I would take a look at the driveshaft!

Nburd 11-17-2013 09:33 PM

I think tire balance is the issue. A driveshaft will vibrate and increase in speed all the time. If it starts at 60 look to the tires. I have learned that ram dealers (at least mine) and the factory cannot balance right. Find a tire shop like I did with a hunter roadforce machine and your vibration may be gone for under $60.00. Mine was.

I think the 20s coupled with goodyear tires and wheels that have to have stick on weights just need extra balancing care. I have had the worst luck forever with goodyears and balancing, The next set will not be for sure. Michelins are the best for uniformity and balance, but cost the most too.

There was also a tsb issued in 2010 about balancing the 20s. A special adapter is needed.

GilAlex 11-18-2013 08:59 AM

Your vibration could also be the Torque Converter kicking in. My Bully Dog now teels me when it kicks in and out.

Monster5601 11-18-2013 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GilAlex (Post 1248378)
Your vibration could also be the Torque Converter kicking in. My Bully Dog now teels me when it kicks in and out.

Gotta ask, why do you think a torque converter is going to cause a vibration?

Vulture666 11-18-2013 04:56 PM

I bought my 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 on 10-08-13. When I test drove it before buying it, I noticed, at about 60 mph, the tires seemed out-of-balance to me. I requested that the tires be balanced and was told it would be done. In the first 100 miles, I noticed the tires still were not right. I took it back to the dealer and sat in the waiting room for about five hours before they finally told me that the tires (Goodyear Wrangler SR-A) could not be balanced so they were putting 4 new tires on it. At least they are balanced and no more shaking. There is one problem though. Three tires hold air but the left rear tire has a slow, steady leak, about a pound or two a week. I don't know how the air is getting out and the dealer doesn't either. They've tried a lot of things but nothing works. Other than taking a knife and slashing it so I can get it replaced, what's next?:4-dontknow:

Otterdriver 11-18-2013 06:56 PM

:LOL:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vulture666 (Post 1248733)
I bought my 2013 Ram 1500 4x4 on 10-08-13. When I test drove it before buying it, I noticed, at about 60 mph, the tires seemed out-of-balance to me. I requested that the tires be balanced and was told it would be done. In the first 100 miles, I noticed the tires still were not right. I took it back to the dealer and sat in the waiting room for about five hours before they finally told me that the tires (Goodyear Wrangler SR-A) could not be balanced so they were putting 4 new tires on it. At least they are balanced and no more shaking. There is one problem though. Three tires hold air but the left rear tire has a slow, steady leak, about a pound or two a week. I don't know how the air is getting out and the dealer doesn't either. They've tried a lot of things but nothing works. Other than taking a knife and slashing it so I can get it replaced, what's next?:4-dontknow:

Tell them to replace the rim then, It amazes me how dealers are so easily baffled at what should be straight-forward repairs and how more often than not , they just guess at what the repair should actually be, then after a couple of flawed attempts they get frustrated and turn it toward the customer and make it out like it's your fault that it isn't working yet. What the hell is happening to customer service, or better yet , what's with the " less than professional trouble shooting" ?, that so many service reps are displaying these days?

Kippy 11-18-2013 10:32 PM

I have been dealing with the same vibration problem. Mine starts around 45-50 mph. So far the dealer has balanced the tires twice, rotated the tires which made it worse, and finally took the truck to a place that has a road force balance machine. I was told two tires were not balanced correctly once they performed the road force balance. The vibration was less noticeable but was still there. Today the dealer told me they would replace all four tires with the same tires or I could pick different tires and pay the difference. I am having them order some Firestone Destination AT tires and have to pay about $300 for the difference. Hopefully this fixes the problem. Only 3,000 miles on the truck but it was in the shop at about 600 miles for the first time for this problem.